Miss Dottie

buckrios

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello to all! Miss Dottie has been with me since she was smaller than my palm & now she is ten years old. I’d love a confirmation from any of you if she is really a Greek tortoise please. Thank you & I am really enjoying reading & learning about all of your beloved tortoises. I am new here & still fumbling with navigation etc., so I hope her pic is showing & I hope I am able to find responses if there are any. Thnx again - Jude in Texas

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello to all! Miss Dottie has been with me since she was smaller than my palm & now she is ten years old. I’d love a confirmation from any of you if she is really a Greek tortoise please. Thank you & I am really enjoying reading & learning about all of your beloved tortoises. I am new here & still fumbling with navigation etc., so I hope her pic is showing & I hope I am able to find responses if there are any. Thnx again - Jude in Texas
That is a Russian Tortoise rather than a Greek Tortoise. They are also called Horsefield's Tortoise, Afghan Tortoise, Steppe Tortoise, 4 Toed Tortoise Due to having just 4 claws on the front feet), and a couple other common names. The Latin name is Testudo horsefieldii.

Your tortoise appears to look reasonably good, although it needs its beak trimmed back to allow it to eat more easily and look like a "normal" tortoise. The skin on the neck also appears rather dry. It is normally accepted tortoise husbandry to soak tortoises for about 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water daily. When they reach adulthood as yours has, it is OK to cut back to every other day or so on the soaks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yay! I thought it was a Russian too! I am improving in my tortoise ID. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.