Misshapen scute in young Sulcata

TokyoTim

Hi everybody. I've been learning a lot from this great resource, but this is the first time for me to post anything. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to tortoise-keeping, so please bear with me.

The rear vertebral scute of my 6-7 month old sulcata has taken on a deformed shape and it's really worrying me. Could somebody please tell me what might be the problem and how I might deal with it? Could this be an early sign of metabolic bone disease and/or pyramiding? I read that with metabolic bone disease, the rear area of the carapace is pulled downward, which seems to be the case here. Also, does carapace show any (other) early signs of pyramiding?

Thanks in advance!

:
IMG_8008.JPG IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8034.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't see anything to be worried about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is normal for that scute to jut out in some individuals. Nothing to worry about if all else is good.

TokyoTim

Thank you both. That's very reassuring to hear. I began worrying about it in December (pics shown below).
All else is good (or appears to be), other than not getting enough grass/weeds in his/her diet now that it's winter, but I'm working to rectify that.
I was a bit concerned at how dark his/her shell has become, but that too is probably normal, I reckon.IMG_7134-X3.jpg IMG_7135-X3.jpg