Missing Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardman55x

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
25
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Hey everyone, my tortoise has been missing since last Halloween around October. it is a Russian tortoise. i left him out on the front yard fro a couple of minutes and then he was gone. I know, I should have watched him the whole time. But, there's still a chance I will find him. I passed out flyers and even posted posters around the neighborhood. I have no clue how far he has got, but I've dug at least 6inches of loose soil all around my front yard and no tortoise has turned up. I tried a pet detective, but even she said the scent was too old to track. So now I am open to any replies about where my tortoise could be or any suggestions.

Thank you
 

Attachments

  • kevin china 1-1 163.JPG
    kevin china 1-1 163.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,510
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Sorry it is under these conditions though. Sorry for the loss of your tort. What is the weather like where you are? If its still kinda cold, like we h
Are still having in Illinois, he may not have come out of hibernation. I would put up new posters so people know you are still looking. Was he in a fenced in yard? Keep looking and check down under any shrubs, etc. he may come out on the nice sunny days too bask. Good luck.
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
54,500
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you?

They sometimes wander for miles. He could be anywhere. Chances are pretty good that someone within a few miles of you have found a free tortoise by this point.
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
89,056
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Wizard, and welcome to the Forum!!

It's a sad thing to say, but I'm afraid when it comes to a "found" tortoise most people say, "Oh boy, a tortoise. Let's put him in the back yard." While if they find a cat or a dog their first thought is to try to find the animal's owner. For some reason, it doesn't seem to compute that a tortoise may have belonged to someone.

And Russians are little scamps when it comes to getting away. They wander for miles. There's just no telling where that little rascal has gotten to. Just ring doorbells all around your neighborhood and let everyone know you have lost a tortoise. You might get lucky.
 

Millerlite

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
2,673
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Keep your eyes peeled in the morning, an evening they like to come out at those times, don't give up hope. Also if there's food around it might not be to far, then again if someone found it it might be gone. Good luck tho
 

wizardman55x

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
25
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Sorry it is under these conditions though. Sorry for the loss of your tort. What is the weather like where you are? If its still kinda cold, like we h
Are still having in Illinois, he may not have come out of hibernation. I would put up new posters so people know you are still looking. Was he in a fenced in yard? Keep looking and check down under any shrubs, etc. he may come out on the nice sunny days too bask. Good luck.

Hey Well,

The weather here is pretty mild high 70's and low 80's. There's a strong breeze but not much of a big wind. I've so far dug the soil below trees and shrubs to the deep roots. I think there is a fair chance of the tortoise being in hibernation because summer is coming and he could be aestivating. I am going to get more posters up as soon as possible. I'll also remember to use large, bold, fluorescent words and eye-catching pictures. Other than that, I think my tortoise is on it's way back home. Thank you for replying.
Tom said:
Where are you?

They sometimes wander for miles. He could be anywhere. Chances are pretty good that someone within a few miles of you have found a free tortoise by this point.

Good day to you Tom!

I live in Fremont, Ca. As usual, the bay area has warm air over cool air blowing in from the coast. And in this quiet, busy town, I live in a tranquil neighborhood. I think there are chances someone a few miles away could have took it. I'll try my best to post posters in neighborhoods surrounding mine. I know tortoises are very curious reptiles, and they are quite inquisitive, so I'll try harder in my efforts if I am not already doing so. I'll be glad to hear more from you.
Yvonne G said:
Hi Wizard, and welcome to the Forum!!

It's a sad thing to say, but I'm afraid when it comes to a "found" tortoise most people say, "Oh boy, a tortoise. Let's put him in the back yard." While if they find a cat or a dog their first thought is to try to find the animal's owner. For some reason, it doesn't seem to compute that a tortoise may have belonged to someone.

And Russians are little scamps when it comes to getting away. They wander for miles. There's just no telling where that little rascal has gotten to. Just ring doorbells all around your neighborhood and let everyone know you have lost a tortoise. You might get lucky.

You are right, I should hope for the better, not the worse. Maybe my tortoise did get away, but I know systematic and logical thinking is what will find my tortoise.Russians are notorious for getting away and being talented escapists, but that does not make me think he will get away with this. He is my soul-friend and I will have him back soon, if not now. Thank you, and I hope to hear more from you.
Millerlite said:
Keep your eyes peeled in the morning, an evening they like to come out at those times, don't give up hope. Also if there's food around it might not be to far, then again if someone found it it might be gone. Good luck tho
Hey Mill, I'm pretty sure someone's got the tortoise by this point. I've noticed that tortoises can walk very far, but usually lost or missing tortoise end up really close to where you last see it. An example is when left in the backyard. The tortoise is locked in a confined space and is prevented from escaping by a fence. But since I left it out on the front yard, the outcomes of it being close to where I last saw it could be considerably different. Thanks for replying though, it really helps me in my search in the meanwhile.
 

durissus

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Messages
1
There was a post on May 25 (approx.) from some people in Northern California who found a Russian tortoise. Did you contact them? It's entirely possible someone picked up the animal and then got tired of it, and let it go, far from home.
 

zman7590

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Messages
246
i would call all around your area (cities close by) just to see if they have / give them a heads up to look...crazy thing is he could be 100 yards from your house playing with a neighbors cat for all you know...i had a salamander when i was a kid fell asleep outside when i was playing with it..got away.... 3 years later found him in my window well! true story! if it was meant to be, you will find him! Best of Luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
TortoiseSupply.com

New Posts

Top