Misty (did I tell you I got a puppy?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's really too bad I didn't have her ears cropped. They would stand up so nicely.

10-06-13_zps64cbba89.jpg

The bad news is that I think she has hip dysplasia. She won't be 2 years until May, but she's showing signs of it already. One clue is the way she is sitting in the picture. Dobermans sit on their back legs, not on their hip like she's doing. Another clue is she gets up from laying down like an old lady, and once she's up, she limps for several steps.

Misty is overly large for her breed, weighing about 80lbs. Plus she leaps like a wild person over all the tortoise fences, and she runs around as if her life depended upon it.

I've asked my vet if there's anything to be done for her, and he says no. I've been giving her glucosamine, but the vet says that doesn't do anything for hip dysplasia.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
She is a gorgeous Dobie! I'm sorry she seems to have hip Dysplasia. I haven't seen it in a dog so young, but it certainly happens.
She is lucky to have an owner, who will meet her needs.
Nice dog! :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Oh man, that's a bummer. (She really is gorgeous) I think the glucosamine is probably the best thing for her. Are there any exercises, like swimming maybe, that can help?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Poor girl to have that pain before even 2 years old.

I have no help for you but I hope someone does.

My family has decided on a Doberman for our family dog. :D It will be a while until we are ready for "her" but when we are, we plan to get a puppy who's parents are certified and health tested in hopes to avoid this health problem among others. :/
Pretty Misty, hope you can feel better big girl!

Sent from my TFOapp

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Misty sure is showing her age.... I miss seeing lots of stuffing and chewed up newspapers and magazines surrounding her. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did the vet say no because it is so bad? Unless an X-Ray has been done, he can't really just say no. The glucosamine actually should help, I would continue giving it. Also, there is surgeries that can be done, depending on the severity. I would have her xrayed by a vet that is actually qualified to certify X-rays for dysplasia. Not every vet is qualified. There is also therapy that can be done to help. I would also stop her from the jumping. I don't mean to bad mouth your vet, but I do believe s/he is way off base here. A two year old has lots of life left, that it would be worth looking into further options. Good luck, sorry the pretty little girl had to come up with this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
Misty sure is showing her age.... I miss seeing lots of stuffing and chewed up newspapers and magazines surrounding her. :D

LOL!! I didn't want to embarrass myself, so I didn't post the first picture I took:

10-06-13a_zpsfd1f0b14.jpg

Thanks, Barb...I really like this vet. He is down to earth and practices in a neighborhood of medium to lower income families...so he usually takes the stance of letting nature take it's course. Of course, if I want more extensive doctoring, he will provide that too. I had taken a rescued cat in to be spayed, and asked him about Misty's symptoms. So he was just talking to me off the top of his head. She hasn't been examined by a vet as yet.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I swear ....one of these days ...I'm going to be dropped off on your doorstep too! .....

Nice Pooch!:D

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I have a pit bull who also has terrible hips and man the glucosamine makes a world of difference! Id keep giving it. It definitely helps with my dogs activity level and pain.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Awe poor Misty! She looks happy anyway, I hope she feels better soon enough though. Poor baby.

And don't feel bad Yvonne... I have a Boston Terrier and my house does not look all the different. :X

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She is beautiful! And just so you know, I love Dobermans with uncropped ears!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
MSM. Have you tried MSM on her, Yvonne? Should always be given with Vitamin C as they work together beautifully, and as an added punch, with Omega 3 fatty acids. I have had Old English Sheepdogs since the 70's and because of the breeding when they were hot because of the Disney movies, hip problems are more often than not. I have shared/recommended this to people too. The later actor James Coburn said it was the only thing that helped his arthritis. My attorney had hip surgery. He has race horses. I told him he needed to take that (pointed to the 55 gallon drum) after, for healing. He said, "You want me to take what we give the horses?" I said, "Works great. And if it is good enough for race horses, it's good enough for you. Heck those horses are worth more than you." Oops. Lack of filter insults again.

I also sprinkle turmeric as if it was salt on their foods. I get it at the Middle Eastern or Indian market. It is anti-inflammatory and some studies say anti-tumors, and even anti-cancer. It's what is used in curry.

MSM is very well priced at the feed store and even though it says only for horses, I use it too. Pure MSM is pure MSM. My opinion, no risk, just less expensive with the horse on the container.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the MSM tip. I'll pick some up next time I go to the feed store.

Tumeric, huh? I don't know if I can find that one. But I'm willing to try.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Turmeric rocks. The curcumin in the turmeric is the part of the spice that seems to be doing the most good. You will find it at a health food store but in the spice section of the ethnic markets it is so much more reasonable, price wise. Sometimes the Hispanic markets have it. It's a mustard yellow color. In fact, what they use to make mustard that yellow. And also check the 99 Cent Only store. That store surprises. I did see it there a while back and they are getting more spices lately at the one by me. Hopefully there.

Here is some more info. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My Golden Ret has this also. He is 13 yrs old and it just kills me to see my boy go thru this! He stopped using the steps so we made a ramp for him. We are doing everything we can for him. I really dont know how much more he can take.....I am really dreading the day we may have to put my boy down.

I am sorry to hear about your dog Yvonne. I have never heard of a dog getting this so young.
Good luck to you and your precious Misty!

I love her floppy ears!! That makes her all the more special! :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
luvpetz27 said:
My Golden Ret has this also. He is 13 yrs old and it just kills me to see my boy go thru this!

Please consider the MSM with Vitamin C for your doggie, too. It really helps, in my opinion. And the turmeric. Very anti-inflammatory. Will be good for your Golden Retriever! : )

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
luvpetz27 said:
My Golden Ret has this also. He is 13 yrs old and it just kills me to see my boy go thru this!

Please consider the MSM with Vitamin C for your doggie, too. It really helps, in my opinion. And the turmeric. Very anti-inflammatory. Will be good for your Golden Retriever! : )
[/quot

I will. Thank you BeeBee!! :) :)