Mixed gender siblings? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurallaura

5 Year Member
We are just about to purchase Two 16 month old Hermans from a local breeder however as they are so small their gender can't be determined yet. They are siblings although I'm worried i'll end up with two boys or a boy and a girl. Will this be a problem with fighting? and could they inbreed? I just want the best for them and need some advice! please help :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! To the question about if there could be future problems with fighting, there is ALWAYS a chance of that, yes. Sometimes, there may be no problems at all, sometimes they will have occasional disagreements, and then there are some who are so long term and serious about fighting/bullying/ or breeding, that the only thing to do is to separate them. There is just no way to tell what the future will bring, be they two males, two females, or one of each. The larger the enclosure, the more hides and visual barriers the less chance of problems. However, any time somebody owns two or more tortoises they house together, they need to be ready if need be, to separate them.

As for breeding siblings, once more a personal thing. Are the parents also related? Usually you can get away with it, because they have not for generations been bred within the same family lines. Keep in mind, whenever two related animals are bred together, you double up on the bad genetic things along with the good ones.

Almost forgot... Welcome!! :tort:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Sounds like Jacqui said it all... Good luck if you decide to get them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi laurallaura:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

laurallaura

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for all your advice! Its really put my mind at rest. My name is Laura. I'm from the South west of England ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.