Mixed red foot (half cherry/ half northern?)

donniedaredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Hi!

Just want to start off by saying that after a month and a half of consistent research, this is, by far, the best site/forum for tortoise information.

Anyway, I finally committed, prepped for, and bought a red foot. I live in Hawaii and went to, what I think, was the best pet store to purchase tortoises. They didn't have many to choose from but I did choose, what was advertised as, half cherry and half possible northern....was hoping for a full breed of either, but they didnt have any at that current time. Anyway, all the tortoises were imported from an unknown location so the workers currently working could not provide me with much info other than the mom was half cherry or Brazilian. I was just wondering if you guys could help me confirm.
Mahalo!
20221118_120133.jpg20221118_120128.jpg

Attachments

• 20221118_120149.jpg
    20221118_120149.jpg
    10.5 MB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like a nicely colored Northern to me. The plastron is not dark like that of a Cherryhead.
If it's a mix. It'd be hard to tell without seeing the parent pair. And the red coloration isn't always a Cherryhead only trait. And I'm not sure if I see arm spurs. It could be because the gene pool has gotten cloudy because of the demand for brighter colors.
At any rate he or she should be a very attractive animal as it grows.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you so much! But yes I am very sad I was unable to see the parents or get any info about his or her history.
We'll call it a very colorful Northern. And possible Cherryhead hybrid.
I'd be curious to see if he or she marbles when he gets larger.

donniedaredfoot

Hawaii
I will
I think I DO see tiny leg spurs!
Hopefully someone else that has Cherryhead knowledge and better eyes than mine will chime in later on today.
Ooooh i was wondering if those were or not. It's just so small lol. I will definitely keep posting pics as he or she gets older so I can confirm if he/she has cherryhead genes. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nobody else wants to take a guess on this one.
It's rough to have an opinion and then have someone more knowledgeable come along and prove you wrong. So until someone does that to me....
Hybrid. If there ever was one, it's this guy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, I am very much a newbie but compared to all the pictures I found of Brazilian's leg spurs, I believe I also might see them on his/her legs too 😊
Let's watch and see if the plastron gets darker or the carapace marbles with time.