Mixing male and female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evansje

5 Year Member
I am a mummy to a 4yr old Spurthighed tortoise named Milo, I recently (6 Months ago) adopted him from a bad home and I hope he's getting on fine as he seems to be loving his new home! I was wondering if it would be okay to adopt another of the same breed but wanted feedback on which sex would be the best to get to house with a male, as I have read to get either 2 girls or none at all as males can be quite aggressive towards each other? any help would be great. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessica:

In my opinion, it would be best to keep Milo an only child. Tortoises don't need company. They live solitary lives, and don't seek out other tortoises for company.

If you put another tortoise in with Milo (after a quarantine period, of course), he would probably fight and try to chase the other tortoise out of his territory.

Now, if you are able to set them up outside, its a different ball game. In a large outdoor habitat with lots of plantings (sight barriers) it would probably be ok to have more than one tortoise in the same pen. I say "Probably", but you still might run into some fighting and have to build two separate pens.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yvonne is absolutely right.

Torts are solitary creatures in the wild. They roam large territories, meet up to mate and move on. They don't get lonely or need, or want, company. Regardless of gender, a tort will defend its home territory. In captivity, especially in small indoor enclosures, this leads to mental and / or physical bullying which can result in the illness or death of the less dominant tort. Groups of 3 or more can work in very large outdoor enclosures with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees.

If you get a second tort, you must keep it entirely separately, in quarantine, for at least 6 months. This is to prevent either making the other sick. When you introduce them, you must accept that the chances of acceptance by the other tort is small and that they are likely to have to live separately on a permanent basis.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How big is Milo? Until he reaches about 5 inches or flashes you there is no certainty about his gender. The same goes for any others you buy.

Mature male Greeks are very testosterone fuelled and, from personal experience, I can say that if he is male he will be a nightmare with other torts unless you have a very, very large enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... and sexes don't matter. Statistically speaking two females might be less likely to fight, but they often still do anyway. Two males will likely fight. A male will likely harass a female constantly, but some times the females get aggressive to fight off his advances.

The bottom line is: Just keep one per enclosure, or if your climate allows it, keep one male and several females in a large well planted outdoor enclosure, but be ready to have to separate and house them individually at any time.

Evansje

5 Year Member
Milo is about 4 inches long, I recently had a carpenter friend make him a large tortoise table, which is 4ft long and has a little ramp going up to a 'house' type arrangement, with room underneath, also for him to roam about in; as he was kept in a tiny 1.5ft vivarium for most of his life! He loves his new home, but I have another question... he only poops when we take him out and let him wonder around on the carpet/bed after a bath and not in his home, is this normal?... he also sleeps a lot, which is why I thought he might be lonely and need a friend. Thanks for all you help so far guys!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The moving around may be making him have to go. Try keeping him in his soak longer and make it a big tub that he can wonder around in or put him in his enclosure right after the soak so he can wonder and poop.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A 4" 4yr old huh? Now I see why you called him "little Milo" ;)

Let Milo be the king, or queen, of your heart! :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.