Mixing Mazuri and Zoo Med Grassland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
OK! This is what I've been doing with the yearlings for the past month. I'm giving them equal portions of moistened Mazuri and Zoo Med Grassland. I mash it all up together, add some well-chopped Ready Pac Santa Barbara (which is all endive, escarole and radicchio...no lettuce) and they go nuts. Of course being yearlings, they still have the attention span of a gnat and need to be guided back to their food regularly...where they go nuts again. This has helped them make noticeable gains in size.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
I don't know anything about Zoo Med's Grassland diet. Does it offer something that Mazuri doesn't or is it cheaper? Why even use it at all?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have no idea what the difference is. I need to compare side by side. I do know a lot of tort perfer the Mazuri over the grassland. And cheaper all depends on who you get it from and the quantity, so i dont know about that one. I've never bought grassland or used it before.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Ingredient labels are available online...it's not brain surgery but Zoo Med is basically suncured versions of everything torts are supposed to have anyway...while Mazuri is merely filler to grow the torts faster.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I remember reading on another forum where someone mixed these two together with a couple other "fresh" ingredients. I don't remember how it turned out, but I remember that he/she then made pellets out of it and used it as a complete diet.

Anyhow, it's been done in the past I just can't seem to find a link to that forum anywhere...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use them both too. I use one or the other though. I only use these once or twice a week. The Grassland diet is very low in protein. I used to think this was a good thing, now, not so much. I think all of it is good as part of a varied diet.

I've never had to show any of my tortoises where the food is. Good lord I don't think they'd have any problem if I intentionally hid it in a maze. This is interesting to me as I have heard many others say this too. What are you guys doing that I am not or vice versa?

Dean, get your a** down here and come see my torts!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Judge for yourselves!
148i1w6.jpg

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
PeanutbuttER said:
I remember reading on another forum where someone mixed these two together with a couple other "fresh" ingredients. I don't remember how it turned out, but I remember that he/she then made pellets out of it and used it as a complete diet.

Anyhow, it's been done in the past I just can't seem to find a link to that forum anywhere...

Here it is! Not super helpful, but hey I found it.

http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62801

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What do you feel are the benefits of this over fresh food, and of mixing the two brands together over one or the other?

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
I MIX GRASSLAND AND MAZURI 2 TO 3 TIMES A WEEK.THE OTHER DAYS ITS ALL FRESH GREENS.ALL MY TORTS ARE IN PERFECT SHAPE SO I HAVE TO GIVE IT A THUMBS UP.I CANT BUY THE GRASSLAND IN BULK SO IT IS A LITTLE COSTLY.THE MAZURI IS CHEAP AT 19.99 FOR 25 POUNDS.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DonaTello said:
That video was great, thanks!!

I have to watch it with no sound, and while the looks are expressive, I couldn't follow the conversations...darn it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cheap buzzing speakers that are not plugged in.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I like this idea. I haven't been able to find mazuri in a small bag, and I'd rather not pay an arm and a leg for shipping for 5 pounds. I found it for sale in a 1 pound bag on the mazuri website. I just want to make sure that the mazuri tortoise is what we're talking about; the site has it listed for gophers, sulcata, tortoises and Galapagos tortoises.

I offer the zoo med with fresh greens every other week just as an added 'treat,' so to speak, but mixing with mazuri would be more of what I'd like to do. It would only be occasional, as I'd like to keep the diet as fresh as possible.

Also, is it ok for Russians as well as red foots?

Status
Not open for further replies.