Mixing Redfoots and Cherryheads?

JakeSnake9502

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago Illinois, USA
Hi everyone I know species aren't supposed to be mixed but since redfoots and cherryheads are almost the same can I mix them? I wanted to get a cherry head to go with my two redfoots

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi everyone I know species aren't supposed to be mixed but since redfoots and cherryheads are almost the same can I mix them? I wanted to get a cherry head to go with my two redfoots

The different forms of the Red-Footed tortoise (Chelonoidis carbonarius) should, to the extent that identification permits, be segregated by group.
While all redfoot forms are presently classified as within the same species, it is likely that the cherryhead form will, in time and with further study,
be separated out and given its own well-deserved taxonomic designation.
Cherryheads have also been known to, in general, display more antagonistic territorial behaviors than other redfoot forms.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
The different forms of the Red-Footed tortoise (Chelonoidis carbonarius) should, to the extent that identification permits, be segregated by group.
While all redfoot forms are presently classified as within the same species, it is likely that the cherryhead form will, in time and with further study,
Cherryheads have also been known to, in general, display more antagonistic territorial behaviors than other redfoot forms.

Interesting!!! My cherryhead is much more aggressive than my normal redfoots! I thought she was just bratty, so thanks for the info!
When she was little she was always stumbling into me and I just thought she was really clumsy... until I figured out she was RAMMING ME with her tiny little palm-sized body!!! I can't be barefoot around her either, as she loves to bite toes. If they get a good grip on you, it hurts!

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
i agree with you, they are different looking - there is no reason why they should be grouped together :)

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it were me, I would house similar sized Redfoot along with Cherryheads.
I met some friction about keeping different locales together a few months ago from some members that like pure species. I understand that position. But I'm not a purist.

Yes, but the turtles are.
No friction here just disappointment that prospective gene pools continue to be further confused and polluted by interbreeding in captivity among individuals from morphologically distinct redfoot groups before they have had a chance to be systematically studied and sorted out scientifically in their respective geographical areas.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Bad idea! While most so called "cherry heads" have no better color than regular Redfoots the Brazilian ones have the ugly shell marbling and this will be passed on to pollute the genes of regular Redfoots. Better to keep them separate.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I do not see why you couldn't keep females together if they are all within the same size. I would probably not keep males in with a group to avoid mixing bloodlines.

Kyle

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Bad idea! While most so called "cherry heads" have no better color than regular Redfoots the Brazilian ones have the ugly shell marbling and this will be passed on to pollute the genes of regular Redfoots. Better to keep them separate.

I too am a bigger fan of regular RFs over cherryheads. None prettier than a papaya orange head, yellow neck, bright red and black legs and a high yellow and brown carapace. I prefer a mixed palate of color on RFs.

willee638

HK
I had the exact thoughts of getting a cherry head & keep them in the same enclosure as my red foot, but had second thoughts because even the reptile shop kept them separated probably not just because their appearance are different & not to confuse the customers.. is more likely cherry heads are more aggressive than regular RF & must be kept segregated. The same size, same age & the same spices of RF varieties may mean nothing. My red footed tortoise was mostly inactive at their enclosure but the cherry heads were moving all over the place at the pet shop, the worst thing that can happen is having more than one male in a small group.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Same thing as Russians, in my opinion. None of us seem to be worried about intermixing the four or five different sub species of Russians, so I don't see why Redfooteds are any different.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes, but the turtles are.
No friction here just disappointment that prospective gene pools continue to be further confused and polluted by interbreeding in captivity among individuals from morphologically distinct redfoot groups before they have had a chance to be systematically studied and sorted out scientifically in their respective geographical areas.
My opinion on the matter has changed over this time.
And I only now keep females.
Also only Northerns.
I may at some point keep Cherryhead with my Northerns, but will continue to rehome or otherwise separate any males that come into my care.
I will not knowingly mix them as far as breeding goes.