Mixing sizes and types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
I have a 10-12 year old female 3-toed that I had to take in because she was not getting cared for very well. Of which i don't mind because i can give her a healthy environment. But I also have a 1 (ish)-yr old Eastern Box turtle in another enclosure. He's only about 1.5" long and she's about 5-6" long. Is it possible to have them live together? I don't want her to 'bully' him (might not be a him, just a guess) or worse so I've kept them apart. But life would be so much easier if I could have them together. She's in a 48"x12" enclosure and he's in a 20" x 12" one. I have a 36"x 18" I'd like to put them both in but I'm a bit leery. Thoughts?

Vickie

5 Year Member
I would avoid it from what I have always read on here. The larger one could bully the younger one and make it actually ill from stress or lack of eating. Also, always issues with possible to spread illness between them even if you are unaware that one or the other one is carrying anything.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There are four issues here:

1. Mixing species. Every tortoise, like every human, carries different pathogens/germs. What one species tolerates could kill another.

2. Care Requirements. Each species evolved over many thousands of years to suit a particular environment. This means that different species often have differing care needs in captivity. I don't know enough about 3 toed and box turtles to say if this is an issue in this case.

3. Bullying. Most species are solitary in the wild. They do not get lonely and do not need, or want, company. In captivity, especially in smaller indoor enclosures, this results in torts rapidly trying to move other torts out... fast. The size difference alone should be telling you that putting these two together is not a good move and could result in the sickness or death of one of them.

4. Enclosure size. Your existing enclosures are already very small. The 5-6" 3 toed has 4' x 1' which is too small. The 1.5" Box turtle wil rapidly outgrow an enclosure that is less than 2' x 1'

Your proposed 3' x 1'6" new enclosure is still too small for the 3 toed on its own in my opinion. You need to be aiming for something much bigger!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Wait until the little one is bigger and the size difference closes. This will take a few years. Until then, there's too much risk in having them together. Little ones get bullied away from food & water, and sometimes their tails or toes get chomped. Really.

Then you have to make sure you don't have a 1:1 ratio of adults, because that's also potentially abusive.

How do you manage a water dish big enough for soaking in a habitat that narrow?

One way to get bigger habitats without giving up floor space is to take a bunk bed approach and stack them.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
Her water dish is a fair size, for her. I just measured her and she's 4.5" long by 3" wide. The dish measures 6" x 8". I have it lengthways in there so she has plenty of room to get around it. Plus she's outside in an enclosure a fair bit. I kind of didn't think I could keep them together but have read where box turtles are more accepting of each others company than other species. Thought I'd see what more experienced keepers thought.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because the two types of box turtle both come from the same continent, the pathogen thing isn't an issue. From a purist stand point, I like to keep all my different type of box turtles in separate habitats.

The problem with mixing your two turtles really isn't one of pathogens or environments, the problem is the size issue. I would never put different sub species together, but if you really want to do it, wait until the little one has grown closer to the other in size.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
Thank you for the information. Probably best to keep them apart I suppose. It's not a huge deal, they've been apart since I got the, both so well just carry on as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.