Mixing species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Good thing to share on this forum seems like somebody always is asking a question about mixing

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Excellent article that covered key points we as tortoise keepers have discussed in previous posts:)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's a very good and very important article! When I saw the title I thought not of co-existence so much as breeding hybrids, which can happen when species are mixed, right?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I don't like it. There are species whose ranges overlap in the wild. In the right setting, they could thrive together in captivity.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have heard and kind of tend to agree, on knee jerk, that mixing species is wrong, but am not sure why.

Isn't that partly how species have evolved and new species formed? Note I said "partly".

Of course, I don't think that a particular location specific species should be mixed with a different one from a different natural location.

Really an interesting subject. And really, I have no idea.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the theory of evolution is basically when an animal has a new adaptation that allows them to survove better than the previous versions. Mixing species are not
evolutionary Advantage as far as I know and I'm not a scientist. Though I do play one on TV

sbRussian

Wisconsin, USA
I always look at forums discussing this subject. When I became a first time tort owner, I was so excited about my new addition. I really thought Soso must be "lonely" being by herself and always eating or sleeping....How's that for an unknowledgeable Russian Tort owner for ya?! I'm very glad I did a lot of research, talked to vets, and had posts like this to guide me in my decision NOT to try it. Two years later, my Russian (named Soso) and I, are much more knowledgeable about her kind, and have learned that she prefers only my company....maybe not by choice :)

Benito

5 Year Member
New Jersey
20160707_123633.jpg 20160707_123153.jpg

Guess I am doing things wrong by mixing them

Attachments

• 20160707_123153.jpg
    20160707_123153.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 67

Benito

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I think in some cases you should not mix them. But some species by chance would overlap in the wild anyways. So in my opinion it is not cut and dry. I have 2 small aldabras that have 0 contact with the Leopards or Sulcatas. Those 2 would never meet in the wild. Seems a lot of people are against it in every case. But life is not black and white.

mproko

I think in some cases you should not mix them. But some species by chance would overlap in the wild anyways. So in my opinion it is not cut and dry. I have 2 small aldabras that have 0 contact with the Leopards or Sulcatas. Those 2 would never meet in the wild. Seems a lot of people are against it in every case. But life is not black and white.
I'm pretty sure the philly zoo keeps Galapagos and Aldabra together

Status
Not open for further replies.