Status
Not open for further replies.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Marty333 said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
I just texted my husband to please bring me a glass of water. I am on the couch sick with pneumonia and he is on the computer working in our bedroom. Don't hate, appreciate. ( I am in a happy fever land).

Im just getting over the flu :( I hope you feel better!!! I had to fend for myself because my parents had to go to work. Well my mom stayed home on tuesday because it was really bad.

I hope both of you are feeling better soon!

My kids will text us from upstairs if someone isn't doing what they are supposed to at bedtime! I like the convienence of a cell phone, checking emails and such when I've got down time at work, the dr's office, etc. But it's annoying to be so connected to everyone when I don't really want to be so I turn it off too for some quiet time. I am considering not renewing the contract when this one runs out. It's ridiculous what we spend on cell phone bills each month. The kids can have the prepaid ones & we can get a home phone. That will cut our bill in half.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"As with any electronic device, if I don't want to be bothered by it I simply turn it off. If I need it, then it's there for use."

I would agree with that statement if people nowadays actually lived by it, but they don't. Computers, other electronic devices and especially cell phones have become some peoples oxygen and blood-they can't live without them, or so it would seem. They're accessories to life, not necessities. There is a time and place for them and a time and place not for them. While getting checked out at the store when you're supposed to be communicating with the cashier is not one of those times (which I've seen both sides doing), at the table at a holiday function is not either (which I've reprimanded one of my neices for) and definitely not while driving when all focus should absolutely be on what you're doing. I explained to each of my kids when they got their license that they're driving a potential weapon on wheels that at anytime could kill themselves or others. One of the restrictions placed on their freedom on wheels was no talking or texting while driving. If I found out that they were they'd be walking for however long my wife and I decided. My now 18 year old daughter spent a good part of her 17th year without a set of wheels!

I lost track long ago the number of times I've been involved in near misses on the road because other people are talking on their cell phones, or worse yet, texting while driving and either pulled out in front of me or swerved into my lane.
One time in particular I actually had to drive off the shoulder on my side of the road to avoid being hit. The other driver swerved back into their lane once they finally heard my horn. No stopping, no apology for nearly killing me, nothing, just kept going. Bad enough in a car, but I ride a motorcycle almost all summer to and from work and elsewhere.

I know, not everyone that is a chronic cell phone junkie is irresponsible while driving but it sure seems like most of them are.

Talking/texting while driving is illegal in my state, but it's a nearly non-efforceable law.

We did recently have a guy not far from me convicted of manslaughter for talking on his cell phone, while passing someone and hitting another car head on and killing the innocent driver of the other car. They also determined that the person he was talking with was driving too, just behind him. That person was tried and convicted on lesser charges. I'm not one for more laws or a stronger government presence unless, as in this case it leads to someone getting punished for a senseless killing.

All of the above may be a trivial or even excepted part of the electronic revolution to some but I take it as serious consequence having nearly been run over enough times.

I think my 82 year old aunt summed it up best a few months ago when she told one of her granddaughters: " These smart phones are just making people act dumber".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Mobile-Phones?page=2#ixzz1EtWQrPp5

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I have a rotary phone in both my den and basement. I LOVE the sound of a good old fasshioned telephone ring. Oh, and my microwave was purchased by my folks in 1987...... Can cook a 23 lbs turkey in it. It's not that I can't afford to update these things; it's that I refuse to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
GBtortoises said:
cell phones have become some peoples oxygen and blood-they can't live without them, or so it would seem. They're accessories to life, not necessities.

My grand daughter (16) and two of her friends came to visit me from Texas last summer. They carried their cell phones in their hands constantly. Not in a pocket or in a purse, in their hand. Eating and the phone was on a lap. Going around looking at the tortoises, in a hand. Riding in the truck, in a hand. They all carried shoulder strap purses, but the phone was in a hand.

C

cyrilali

Mobile phone is very useful in every person's life. Different type of company launch different type of mobiles. There are many features on mobile like camera, video, blue tooth, long lasting battery, radio, internet and so on.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
emysemys said:
GBtortoises said:
Question: Seriously, what in the h*ll does everyone have to talk about that we didn't have 7-10 years ago?

Why do so many people live their lives on a cell phone?

I'm with you, Gary! I don't even HAVE a cell phone.

I don't have a cell phone either :)
thought I was the only one out there!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My business endeavors requires that I always be accessible, so my cellphone is always in my shirt pocket (the 1st thing I do when I look to buy a new shirt is see if it has a button-down pocket :p), and I always get a fold-down phone, so never a butt-dialed issue.

OTOH, when at a movie or other quiet place, I set it on "vibrate" as a courtesy to others. :cool:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We no longer need a fax, copy machine, etc. so we discontinued our landline services. Cell phones are now the only phones we have and need. I have a Motorola, very durable and reliable. Service is thru AT&T, phone coverage only, no web or text, and the price per month is great with unlimited national coverage.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ALDABRAMAN said:
We no longer need a fax, copy machine, etc. so we discontinued our landline services. Cell phones are now the only phones we have and need. I have a Motorola, very durable and reliable. Service is thru AT&T, phone coverage only, no web or text, and the price per month is great with unlimited national coverage.

Same here, except we kept the landline for our computer.

P

perrygrren

Mobile is great technology in all over the world. Mobile is very useful for every one . Due to this we can easily connect with each other any time and any where. There are many mobile available in markets. In all mobile have different type of facility and features.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have a lot of friends and family that have gotten rid of land lines and just use cell phones. I hate that my husband freaks out if he can't get a hold of me at any time ( he always panics and think there is something wrong with one of the kids)but I love that I can get a hold of my kids any time. We are a family of texters. My oldest (17) has to txt me when he goes out at night every time he changes location. My youngest (12) likes to ride his bike around and go to the school, friends houses or the store he also has to text and tell me if he is going somewhere else. For me texting is much easier and quicker than talking.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have a lot of friends and family that have gotten rid of land lines and just use cell phones. I hate that my husband freaks out if he can't get a hold of me at any time ( he always panics and think there is something wrong with one of the kids)but I love that I can get a hold of my kids any time. We are a family of texters. My oldest (17) has to txt me when he goes out at night every time he changes location. My youngest (12) likes to ride his bike around and go to the school, friends houses or the store he also has to text and tell me if he is going somewhere else. For me texting is much easier and quicker than talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.