Mold and new enclosure help

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
So im building a new home for oliver and i noticed to day in his closed chamber he currently has mold on it. I have read the threads on mold prevention, i just have a few questions. Have any of you had success with wood sealer and it not harm your tort? If you stapled plastic to the wood how exactly did you do so? Am i able to remove the current mold and besides removing the wood. Can this mold hurt my tortoise currently and should i remove the top ? ImageUploadedByTortForum1398356209.476155.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398356232.350158.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398356254.479391.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Personally, I'd make a 10% bleach solution and wash it off. Then I would staple a shower curtain liner to the wood, then fill with substrate. I had the same problem with a tort table that my box turtles were in. Kept much wetter than anybody else's habitat. The shower curtain liner is pretty tough and has now been in place for about 6 years. Plus after the weak bleach solution, no more mold grew...
This tort table also has a top and during the day I leave it 1/2 open getting fresh air to the inside. I would not use a wood sealer, as I'm thinking that even the smell would be bad for anybody trying to live in there. I could be wrong about that, but I would not use a wood sealer around my chelonia...

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I used pond liner that I bought in Home Depot and have not had a problem. A shower curtain would probably be a cheaper method for this as maggie3fan suggested.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
I had a large roll of heavy duty plastic so i just stapled that to the wood thanks for the help :)