Mold in closed chamber. Couple of options... need ideas.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about my closed chamber molding. I was going to clean it but it's really bad so I am going to just replace that wall. It is only the "cooler" side of the enclosure that molded. I was wondering if I painted the inside, would that prevent the mold from returning on the new wood? I don't want to have to replace that wall every six months. HELP!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I didn't read your other thread. Are you saying that the mold is growing on the wall/wood of the habitat? You can just paint it with vinegar. Here's a blurb I copied from the 'net:

How to Kill Mold with Vinegar

To kill mold with vinegar, use white distilled vinegar which you can buy cheaply from the supermarket.

Pour some vinegar into a spray bottle without watering it down.

Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour.

Wipe clean the area with water and allow the surface to dry. Any smell from the vinegar should clear within a few hours.

If you want to use vinegar to prevent mold growing on surfaces just spray vinegar on the surface and leave it. Repeat this every few days to ensure the surface will stay mold-free. You can even mop your tiled bathroom floor or other hard non-porous floors with vinegar if you are worried about mold growing on them.

This same site did say that if you were cleaning it from a painted surface it is easier because the mold's roots wouldn't have penetrated the paint.

Here's a link to the site where I read this info:

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html#vinegar

trot1

kjr153 said:
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about my closed chamber molding. I was going to clean it but it's really bad so I am going to just replace that wall. It is only the "cooler" side of the enclosure that molded. I was wondering if I painted the inside, would that prevent the mold from returning on the new wood? I don't want to have to replace that wall every six months. HELP!!!

I think you d have to be very careful about the type if paint. We bought a proper tortoise house which is treated wood but its safe. Dont know what is treated with though. A simple preventative may be to drill a few small holes for ventilation.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Yes, the mold is growing on the wall of the cool side of the enclosure. I am going to Home Depot to get a new piece of wood instead of just cleaning the current piece. Will the smell of the vinegar harm the tortoise? If I'm going to be putting vinegar on this wall every few days, I don't want to have to move the tort every time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it won't harm the tortoise.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Any update on using vinegar as a regular preventative? How's it working for you? I'm in the process of troubleshooting my own new enclosure...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yvonne G said:
I didn't read your other thread. Are you saying that the mold is growing on the wall/wood of the habitat? You can just paint it with vinegar. Here's a blurb I copied from the 'net:

How to Kill Mold with Vinegar

To kill mold with vinegar, use white distilled vinegar which you can buy cheaply from the supermarket.

Pour some vinegar into a spray bottle without watering it down.

Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour.

Wipe clean the area with water and allow the surface to dry. Any smell from the vinegar should clear within a few hours.

If you want to use vinegar to prevent mold growing on surfaces just spray vinegar on the surface and leave it. Repeat this every few days to ensure the surface will stay mold-free. You can even mop your tiled bathroom floor or other hard non-porous floors with vinegar if you are worried about mold growing on them.

This same site did say that if you were cleaning it from a painted surface it is easier because the mold's roots wouldn't have penetrated the paint.

Here's a link to the site where I read this info:

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html#vinegar

WOW!! Vinegar can clean and prevent mold! ! !

You have so many trick in your sleeve.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would also cover all of the wood, or most of it, with a pond liner, sold at Home Depot or a shower curtain liner.