Mold in closed chamber

kjr153

5 Year Member
When I built my closed chamber Home Depot ran out of the size ply wood that I needed. I have one side as a different type of wood. That is the only side that has molded. Does anyone have an easy fix for this. It is cold and snowy here so I don't really want to take it outside and redo it right now. I also am not going to but any chemicals in there to clean it. Organic suggestions please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Try wiping some dilute vinegar on it, or allowing a little more ventilation on that side, if your temps and humidity will stay stable.

kjr153

5 Year Member
So while I'm scrubbing it with vinegar should I just soak the tortoise out of the chamber? I don't want the odor of the vinegar to harm the tort. Do I worry about the mold that falls in the substrate when scrubbing? I will try to get most of it out but what if I don't? If the tortoise eats it will that harm him? It is getting worse by the day. Will painting that side of the chamber refrain the mold from growing back?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What I would do is this. Remove tort and set him up in a temp home in the a.m. Scrub enclosure with vinegar. When dry, put a coat of outdoor paint on it. Let it dry. Then move tort back in. It's okay if your tort has to live in a too small of an enclosure for a day or two. Just be sure to keep him warm. It also won't hurt him to have no UVB for those couple days if need be.