mold in outdoor enclosure

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I recently set up an outdoor enclosure for my russian and i have been finding white whispy mold in it. The substrate is cocco husk on top of organic soil, and on the parts with just soil near the water dishes i have found what looks like white mold clumping pieces of soil together. I typically toss the soil that has it on it but the soil is very moist and seems like some gets underneath. I didnt know if maybe it was from the soil like trichoderma. Leaves from trees also fall in and when i tarp it to prevent rain from getting in it seems like the dead leaves mildew. How concerned should i be and should i keep my guy in for several days to prevent any accidental exposure? 20220521_091519.jpg20220521_091527.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I recently set up an outdoor enclosure for my russian and i have been finding white whispy mold in it. The substrate is cocco husk on top of organic soil, and on the parts with just soil near the water dishes i have found what looks like white mold clumping pieces of soil together. I typically toss the soil that has it on it but the soil is very moist and seems like some gets underneath. I didnt know if maybe it was from the soil like trichoderma. Leaves from trees also fall in and when i tarp it to prevent rain from getting in it seems like the dead leaves mildew. How concerned should i be and should i keep my guy in for several days to prevent any accidental exposure? View attachment 344994View attachment 344993
Here is the problem with bought-in-a-bag type soil from a store: It is made form composted yard waste. There is no way to know what is in it. Could be something toxic like oleander or azalea, treated lawn clippings, or anything else you or your neighbors throw in that bin. Because it is literally rotting organic stuff, it encourages mold, mildew and fungus, which are all part of the natural process of breaking it down. This is why I continually say to NOT use soil as a tortoise substrate. I used to make 4x8 raised planter beds to grow tortoise food and also for babies to safely get some outside time in. I used to use store bought soil mixed with native dirt in these. On one occasion I put the babies out and one of them immediately reached down and started eating something in the substrate. It was just dumb luck that I noticed. I immediately pulled the item out of the baby's mouth and it was semi-composted jacaranda leaves. Jacaranda is toxic. I never looked at bagged soil the same again.

For outdoor enclosures, I use the native dirt that is already there. If substrate is necessary, orchid bark or cypress mulch are your best bets.

If you are trying to grow plants and the soil is not suitable, dig a large hole and put the soil, amendments ad fertilizers down in the hole, and then cover all of that with several inches of native dirt so the tortoise does not have access to the soil or other stuff. Then I like to make a barrier around the new plant for a while that also serves as a watering basin until it gets established. Or plant in a pot that the tortoise can't get into.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
do you think its safe to let him out till i can get more cocco husk? Hes been on soil for years with cyprus on top and never eaten it. i just never had mold inside cause its way more humid outside here in virginia
Here is the problem with bought-in-a-bag type soil from a store: It is made form composted yard waste. There is no way to know what is in it. Could be something toxic like oleander or azalea, treated lawn clippings, or anything else you or your neighbors throw in that bin. Because it is literally rotting organic stuff, it encourages mold, mildew and fungus, which are all part of the natural process of breaking it down. This is why I continually say to NOT use soil as a tortoise substrate. I used to make 4x8 raised planter beds to grow tortoise food and also for babies to safely get some outside time in. I used to use store bought soil mixed with native dirt in these. On one occasion I put the babies out and one of them immediately reached down and started eating something in the substrate. It was just dumb luck that I noticed. I immediately pulled the item out of the baby's mouth and it was semi-composted jacaranda leaves. Jacaranda is toxic. I never looked at bagged soil the same again.

For outdoor enclosures, I use the native dirt that is already there. If substrate is necessary, orchid bark or cypress mulch are your best bets.

If you are trying to grow plants and the soil is not suitable, dig a large hole and put the soil, amendments ad fertilizers down in the hole, and then cover all of that with several inches of native dirt so the tortoise does not have access to the soil or other stuff. Then I like to make a barrier around the new plant for a while that also serves as a watering basin until it gets established. Or plant in a pot that the tortoise can't get into.
do you think its safe to let him out till i can get more cocco husk? Hes been on soil for years with cyprus on top and never eaten it. i just never had mold inside cause its way more humid outside here in virginia