Moldy Fir Bark (Reptibark)

Ixorya

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hi guys,

I've been using Reptibark since day one. Previously there were some mold patch if i missed poop. But the mold is now almost everywhere. Would like to check how can i prevent this from happening? I recently boiled my bedding (i thought it would help sterilisating). Not sure if that contributed to the mold build up. And if i there's anything i can do to salvage the bedding? I'd be opening a new bag of Reptibark for the time being. But since Reptibark is so expensive (only pine bark is available in the gardening shops in my country) i am hoping to salvage as much as possible.

InShot_20220513_225010776.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_224709.jpg
    IMG_20220513_224709.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see a problem with the bark pieces in your picture. It just looks like normal orchid bark. It does slowly decompose over time. Is that what you are noticing? This process does not bother the tortoises in any way.

Ixorya

Earth
There are white spots that is a little furry and look like mold. So those are not mold? @.@

Attached another image that can hopefully show better. Hard to show what i can see.

IMG_20220513_231608_455.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mold occurrs on dead and dying stuff. I think if you spot clean, then stir the substrate up a bit you'll stop seeing those mold-like pieces. At any rate, it's not harmful to your tortoises.