Monkey chow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am wondering if anybody on this forum actually still feeds moistened monkey chow to their tortoises? I remember monkey chow being pretty common back in the 80's, but thought everybody had stopped using it. Imagine my surprise to see it as a suggested food in a current reptile publication. So this is why I am asking, who in here still feeds it?

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Sure, I use it...many different kinds of it in fact...just not on tortoise on monkeys...well Lemurs!!! I think now with more commercial tortoise branded food available there is no need for it anymore.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
coastal said:
Sure, I use it...many different kinds of it in fact...just not on tortoise on monkeys...well Lemurs!!! I think now with more commercial tortoise branded food available there is no need for it anymore.

See that is my thought. Why use something not actually made for a tortoise's needs when there are good tortoise foods out there?

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
The internet and shipping these days, no one is limited to just local business now!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I've been using Mazuri Monkey Crunch for Tortoises and Cyclura for around 6 months now. The results are comparable, if not better than just using Mazuri Tortoise itself. It has a higher protein content, and the nutritional content is close to the same. It also tends to hold itself better when moistened and not turn into a pile of mush.

Ask Frank Retes about his Sulcatas that were raised on Monkey Biscuits. From what he has said, they were some of the smoothest Sulcatas aside from the wild caught animals coming in at the time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.