1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Moral/Ethical Business Dilemma

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by Tom, Jan 31, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    West Virginia
    I don't disagree with you at all. I even stated that this is where dealing with a live animal is different. I will say that the biggest difference here is Tom apparently didn't have a 7 day guarantee in place and he says he rarely has these issues. I realize you can't give away your tortoises to everyone who "claims" a problem. You both seem to do this as a hobby and that also changes the way you can treat these issues. The customer is always right is how I will always run my business, it's not a hobby and I can't have a bad reputation and continue feeding my family. I will tell you that a well written and explained contract or warranty is often the best way to insure happy customers and eliminate most of these problems. Again I just want to say I do not disagree with you because I wouldn't want to send a live animal to it's certain death but if there is no reason to think that is the case I prefer to side with great customer service. Tom was in the right but even giving half the money back instead of a new tortoise would probably appease most people. I know this person took that out of his hands but I'm just using this as an example. P.S. I wish my wife had a side job for shoe money, I could probably retire years earlier lol
  2. Tortoisefanatic88

Tortoisefanatic88 Well-Known Member

PA
    The highlighted quote angers me somewhat. Tom you did nothing wrong and even offered a replacement tortoise at half price. For the customer to say any of that I would not offer anything now that the 3rd party has decided in your favor. When I discovered this forum I spent days on here doing reaseach about sulcatas. I knew the person I’d be contacting for a sulcata and all questions I had after just a few days on here......enough said
  3. Baldy Aeschylus

Baldy Aeschylus Member

Ohio
    Sleppo and KarenSoCal like this.
  4. leotortoise1

leotortoise1 Member

Wow Tom I just caught up on this thread and I am so sorry they did that!

You save babies everyday, you couldn't save this one from their new owner but that is NOT your fault. They didn't call or reach out for help, you shipped a healthy tort responsibly that was fine for weeks under their care. You can't control your customer's actions but you spend hours of your time everyday making sure we all have the tools, knowledge and as much help as possible to get it as right as we can. They did this, not you. Again, you SAVE torts everyday.

When I wrote my original post about just refunding half the amount even though it was clearly a healthy baby, I offered that solution to simply bring closure and move on in good faith. I didn't think offering another tort was a good idea because of the customer's history and original response with you. The customer wasn't technically right, but in my experience I've learned sometimes it's best to have closure with certain people and be done forever.

The credit card company backed you on the chargeback because your actions and reputation has established a clear pattern of doing business ethically and responsibly. Please don't let this owner who had options for help and chose not to use them put this back on you. You reputation cannot be harmed, you have far too much trust, support, and respect on this forum and in the the tort community. Thankfully it took this many years for you to come across one bad owner and hopefully he is the last. Implement any possible changes/contracts/care sheets/trouble shooting tips (if the baby starts to do this, you do that...) to improve the future and be done. And then remember all the good you do everyday for all of us and so many babies, how truly thankful and trusting we are, and sleep well at night.
    AsaPatrick-Ricard likes this.
  5. AsaPatrick-Ricard

AsaPatrick-Ricard New Member

Yuba City, CA
    This made me pretty angry, too. It sounds like they're trying to absolve themselves of responsibility, if it's definitely not a scam. I don't believe people like that should be allowed the privilege of caring for an animal and I'm glad Tom did not send another baby to their household.
    Tortoisefanatic88 and xMario like this.
  6. kathyth

kathyth Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Beaumont, CA.
    Something similar to this happened to me. I purchased a Redfoots hatchling from a good Breeder, that we all know. The hatchling was maintained in an appropriate closed chamber, with a healthy diet and daily soaks.
    I didn’t consider asking for a refund. How would it be the breeders fault.
    I don’t think you are responsible at all, to refund anything. I’m surprised the buyer, asked.