More about a new adoption and sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
p2.jpgpinky3.jpgal & pink.jpgHi again,
In fairness to an earlier post, she wasn't kept in a 10 gal up till now, or so I think, the gentleman said he let her run free in the house when she outgrew her aquarium. I hate to speak poorly of people and he truely does seem to care about her.I am putting a few pics up about her,(her name is Pinky, but I just have a little trouble with that, what do you guys think about changing it? Is that right?) We have called her a her, but I'll let the experts decide, she does have a short tail, and a very flat plastron.Her carapace measure 13 inches from head to tail straight over her dome. She is very solid and eyes are clear. She has not produced a stool yet, and has nibbled on some red peppers and some collard greens. She is so cool and I know I am making some jealous.(sorry!)
Also do I make a new thread? or do I just continue the old one?
Thanks Nadine

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Looks like a female, can you post a closer shot of the tail itself? She looks pretty good to have not really been cared for properly. Minimal pyramiding. I know your thrilled with her, and I definitely would be. Let me know if you want to do a breeding loan down the road! ;)

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Nay said:
Her carapace measure 13 inches from head to tail straight over her dome. She is very solid and eyes are clear. She has not produced a stool yet, and has nibbled on some red peppers and some collard greens. She is so cool and I know I am making some jealous.(sorry!)
Also do I make a new thread? or do I just continue the old one?
Thanks Nadine

When you measure her you do not measure over the carapace. You place her against a wall and a flat board or someting gently and measure the distance with a ruler.
I defer to Josh about whether or not to start a new post.
There are some great threads on tort diets if you search for some ideas if you need them too.
Very sweet tort:D

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
By the way...are the tortoise and the hare always housed together?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Anja, I will get a better "tail" shot. I have to resize and it just takes forever.
Cam, I can't quite picture what you say to measure. Mark beginning and end against the wall? I have a pretty good idea of what to feed, but alot of articles say to give some prickly pears (Where oh where do I get them??)
The rabbit ,Albert, is free roaming and just loves the fresh hay. I think he was welcoming our new pet, where I came home he was all stretched out right next to Pinky,but by the time I got my camera he had moved away. He is so cool too. He actually chases my dogs off the rug to get the good spot.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nay said:
Cam, I can't quite picture what you say to measure. Mark beginning and end against the wall?
prickly pears (Where oh where do I get them??)

Nadine here is a good illustration on how to measure
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Indian Fig Opuntia (O.ficus-indica) are most commonly refered to as Prickly Pears also known as Nopal or Nopales
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia
Simply stated cactus pads. Sometimes Stater Bro. in CA carry them Lots of people have them in yards you can also find them sometimes at a garden center. Plant a pad grow a large cactus. Oh and sometimes they are sold on ebay

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
im confused, why would you need to start a new thread?

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
It's so fun your gang all get along:D

Yep, thanks for piecing in the link for measuring Crazy1:)

For the pricly pear go to www.carolinapetsupply.com and search "pear". I don't know in your area if groceries or garden centers would have it, avoid anything with pestacides though.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Very nice new addition and I love the tortoise and the hare pic!!:D

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Sexing leopards can be hard so ive herd, lovely leopard tortoise.
Nice rabbit haha!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
tail.jpg
T-P said:
Sexing leopards can be hard so ive herd, lovely leopard tortoise.
Nice rabbit haha!

Hi, Great links! Thank you. First Crazy1, I did that measure and my girl is close to 10 in . She has her front legs that don't go all the way against the wall. But close enough thanks.
Anja
I am attaching a better(hopefully) close up of her tail. hope it comes out ok.
and Lastly Josh, please don't think I am being flip. This is actually my first thread/forum I have joined and participated in.(And I won't say how old I am!!) I wasn't sure how you(or anyone) would know I have asked another question. Do you guys just go look? I have checked off the email notify when I post something, but how about when someone else posts. So that's why I am questioning putting in a new thread.
I love having a place that all everyone talks about is torts!!
PS, Can someone give me thread/forum etiquette for addressing folks? By posted name?Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
You can call me Anja or AJ. Either works fine for me.

Looks like a girly in my opinion. Very nice indeed, a girl of that size would being well over $1000 on the market for sure. You were very lucky indeed. :)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i see what you mean now...
there are little images that load next to the names of topics that haven't been read or have new responses. thats how we know to check back here for new questions.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I also am of an age beyond 20, the personal computer came about when I was in 5th grade:shy:

I like to click on the "view new posts" or "view todays posts" under the "Welcome back, Nay. You last visited: XXXXX.

If you make an origional post about something really specific...let's say "Can I feed my tortoise broccoli?" Then you want to ask about overall lighting and temperature requirements you should start a new post for clarity.
And be sure to include the subject in your title...you will get a better reponse that way...for example instead of "Food Question" you could say "Broccoli and Torts?" or someting.

Anyway, welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.