More Florida Baby Box Turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I had 4 more eggs hatched last week from my female Florida box turtle. She had 3 eggs hatch last month. That's makes 7 babies for her this year!

This latest clutch was laid in January. It usually takes around 60 days for the eggs to hatch with an incubation temperature of 82F.

Here are the pics!

Baby hatching.
2010FloridaHatchling.jpg

Baby box turtles can be a handful!
2010FloridaHatchlings.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have always liked the colors on the florida box turtle shells

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just curious, Pat: Would we be safe in assuming that these babies are male having been incubated at that temp? I have too many males and would be interested in buying a couple more babies, but I'd like a better chance at getting females.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure how accurate my digital temperature gauge is, but it seems that all my hatchlings have been female from what feedback I have recieved from those who bought my babies in the past. The temp in the incubator does fluctuate between 82 and 84 F.

I think you get males more in the 77F range.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I live in Florida and can say that a really good Florida Box Turtle looks as nice as the average Indian Star Tortoise as far as I am concerned and I have seen a lot of both! It is a shame that I am not allowed to breed and sell offspring from Florida Box Turtles. I am allowed to own 2 sex does not matter, but only 2. If I did hatch offspring I would be breaking our rules. So am I supposed to destroy the eggs, how nice is that?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
elegans said:
I live in Florida and can say that a really good Florida Box Turtle looks as nice as the average Indian Star Tortoise as far as I am concerned and I have seen a lot of both! It is a shame that I am not allowed to breed and sell offspring from Florida Box Turtles. I am allowed to own 2 sex does not matter, but only 2. If I did hatch offspring I would be breaking our rules. So am I supposed to destroy the eggs, how nice is that?

What is the rationale for this? Why is it legal to breed in some states?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I remember correctly several states have that 2 only rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.