More Florida invasives

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was thinking about y'all as I was in the EVERGLADES catching fishes in my trap to transplant into my ponds.
I caught a bunch of Mollies and even a Killiefish. (In the bad photo)
But the mist discouraging part was that in one particular area I found hundreds of bunches of invasive Water Lettuce and a certain non native Lillie. Both of which I removed as much as I could collect to place into my ponds (and in garbage bags to be destroyed)

This Florida invasive thing isn't just fish, birds and Reptiles. Our entire ecosystem is changing right in front of our eyes.

This particular area is just north of the south I-75 exit off of US 27 in Southwest Ranches.
I've reported it with pictures to the Florida Fish and Wildlife site.

Attachments

• 20220505_140920.jpg
    20220505_140920.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220505_115259.jpg
    20220505_115259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • VideoCapture_20220505-151602.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220505-151602.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 7

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Someone needs to drop a hippo in there. I heard they LOVE water lettuce and hiacynth!
As do the manatees! Those are some good looking Water Lettuce. Up here in the wet cold North, those lettuce blobs go 3 for $5.00 or something like that. Same with the water hyacinth - nothing is cheap.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
As do the manatees! Those are some good looking Water Lettuce. Up here in the wet cold North, those lettuce blobs go 3 for $5.00 or something like that. Same with the water hyacinth - nothing is cheap.
They're illegal to possess here in Florida.
I guess that came a bit too late

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sorry to say that probably a lot of people just didn't know any better. But once they do dump it outside it's there and could possibly grow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to say that probably a lot of people just didn't know any better. But once they do dump it outside it's there and could possibly grow.
Actually I would hope some common sense would pop in. It's never a right thing to do unless the research has been done to know if its invasive or not, specially in a place that never freezes.
But I do know there seems to be a shortage on common sense lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Was it spatterdock?
It's called YELLOW FLOATING HEART. Or FRINGED WATER LILLIE (LILI)
But that's my best guess after a lot of GOOGLE.
But now that I further look at my photos, those leaves are very smooth edged.
The flowers, however look the same. But the plants I was able to grab had no flowers.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I was thinking about y'all as I was in the EVERGLADES catching fishes in my trap to transplant into my ponds.
I caught a bunch of Mollies and even a Killiefish. (In the bad photo)
But the mist discouraging part was that in one particular area I found hundreds of bunches of invasive Water Lettuce and a certain non native Lillie. Both of which I removed as much as I could collect to place into my ponds (and in garbage bags to be destroyed)

This Florida invasive thing isn't just fish, birds and Reptiles. Our entire ecosystem is changing right in front of our eyes.

This particular area is just north of the south I-75 exit off of US 27 in Southwest Ranches.
I've reported it with pictures to the Florida Fish and Wildlife site.
You ain't kidding!!We are seeing red headed agamas all over in Vero. The saddest is when you see what happened to our once beautiful Indian River Lagoon and the total loss of seagrass

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Actually I would hope some common sense would pop in. It's never a right thing to do unless the research has been done to know if its invasive or not, specially in a place that never freezes.
But I do know there seems to be a shortage on common sense lol
Common sense is not common any more when it comes to understanding the balance of nature. This should be taught as a compulsory subject from kindergarten, then maybe the damage could begin to be halted or even some of it repaired. Here in Jamaica, I can see so much destruction of our natural environment over my considerable years, and very little being done to try to change how people think.