More Help ID weeds in my yard please

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta NY
IMG_1646.jpg IMG_1645.jpg IMG_1644.jpg IMG_1643.jpg IMG_1642.jpg IMG_1640.jpg IMG_1641.jpg IMG_1639.jpg I think this first picture is common mallow pc 1646. Can anyone confirm this? I do have creeping charlie also and this looks different. The others I have no clue can anyone ID or send me in the right direction to start "weeding things out" Ha. Thanks in advanced for any and all help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
This is mallow:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409106647.130765.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409106660.759323.jpg

I'm afraid you have Creeping Charlie.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Anyone know the second one?
I have that popping up all the time but don't know what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
1 - Creeping Charlie (not edible)
2 - Horseweed or mares tail (edible when plant is young)
3 - ?
4 - Amaranth (edible)
5 - some kind of grass (edible)
6 - ?
7 - looks like horseweed again
8 - ?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yvonne, aren't some types of creeping charlie edible? I read on here- http://www.tortoisetrust.org/wiki/index.php5/Toxicity_of_Some_Common_House_Plants- that a couple are okay?

I'm not Yvonne, but I might be able to help. Plants can be confusing if labelling them by their common names. Lots of plants share the same names (though for the life of me I can't come up with any other examples right now). When adding any new plants for your torts, double checking the plant by their Latin names will help immensely.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D Thank you... I have Pilea nummularifolia and Glechoma hederacea. index.jpg creeping-charlie-4.jpg
The first one is not toxic. The second one is... I have all three kinds of creeping charlie, but the third can also be known as creeping jenny or golden money wart... Funny thing is, I ripped up all of the Glechelalhalahla kind after I learned it was toxic, and I know for a fact that both my russian and my sulcata ate it while outside, like it was ice cream, really! I was very concerned and flushed them out with lettuce, but even if I miss a sigle leaf in the yard, they'll devour it in a heartbeat???

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
:D Thank you... I have Pilea nummularifolia and Glechoma hederacea. View attachment 93624 View attachment 93625
The first one is not toxic. The second one is... I have all three kinds of creeping charlie, but the third can also be known as creeping jenny or golden money wart... Funny thing is, I ripped up all of the Glechelalhalahla kind after I learned it was toxic, and I know for a fact that both my russian and my sulcata ate it while outside, like it was ice cream, really! I was very concerned and flushed them out with lettuce, but even if I miss a sigle leaf in the yard, they'll devour it in a heartbeat???
Just pull what you can see, and watch the enclosure everyday. Since they ate a very small dose, it's probably not too toxic.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you :D Well, and I don't think it could be... but I thought they just naturally avoided toxic plants :(

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
:D Thank you... I have Pilea nummularifolia and Glechoma hederacea. View attachment 93624 View attachment 93625

Hehe.. you'd think that they'd be smart enough to tell the difference sometimes. I guess the saying "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" also works for tortoises :p