More of Tom's Job Stuff

Kara

5 Year Member
The exception always proves the rule!

Tom said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:
....there are no bad dogs! We has humans made our dogs what they are. We often inadvertently reward bad behavior and condition an unwanted behavior. Now we the humans are frustrated with dog...and even punish him...and it's our fault he is the way he is!

You know there are exceptions to this, right? I've met a few true baddies that didn't have a reason to be bad...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sulcata_Sandy said:
How did Bullet get his?

You ever seen a malinois run after a bad guy?

Kara said:

True true. I'm going to steal this quote from you!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
BTW, I worked with a girl years ago who owned two German WH Pointers. I believe they were littermates. They were the best behaved dogs I knew!
She had a small party at her house when they were just juveniles. It was all dog ppl, so her dogs were not banned from the festivities. She had food all over, including snacks and hors d'erves sitting on her low coffee tables. They looked longingly, but never touched anything. I was impressed. Her adult Dobe was good too, but puppies?!?!
Would NEVER happen in my house of sneaks and thieves! Even the obed titled and therapy certified ones know they only get one chance when no one is looking...

Kara

5 Year Member
No theft required; we'll consider it a trade b/c I'm totally stealing this one: "If a behavior is followed by positive consequences, it is likely to occur again." I don't have a tactful bone in my body! Despite my love of ALL animals, I could never work with them b/c I don't have the patience for owners.

Another one I stole from someone, somewhere: The more people I meet the more I like my dog(s)!! :D

BTW, I wondered how you chose the boys' names, too. 'Seven' seemed obvious. 'Bullet' would have forever remained a mystery!

Tom said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:
How did Bullet get his?

You ever seen a malinois run after a bag guy?

Kara said:

True true. I'm going to steal this quote from you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That phrase and its counterpart work for all species. Even humans. Applying it well is where the genius comes in. :)

And... Mystery solved.

Donatello

Love this commercial. I put my cat on purina pro plan just 4 months ago. The vet told me he needed a different kind of food. I told him i tried blue buffalo, taste of the wild and he wouldnt touch it.So he reccomended Purina and my cat loves it. Great job. I am a pet groomer. I think having a job in any animal field is awesome..

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Tom, I recently saw a commercial advertising the 2014 Purina Dog Chow Dog championship (or something like that). What do you know about it? You know, now that I know about your training animals for commercials, everytime I see a commercial with animals in it, I wonder if that's you. Funny how that remains in my brain, and I can't forget it now@_@

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sibi said:
Tom, I recently saw a commercial advertising the 2014 Purina Dog Chow Dog championship (or something like that). What do you know about it? You know, now that I know about your training animals for commercials, everytime I see a commercial with animals in it, I wonder if that's you. Funny how that remains in my brain, and I can't forget it now@_@

I don't know anything about that. Sorry.

Last year there were 12 animal commercials that I worked on in the Superbowl. Wondering If I'll ever top that record. It was very busy the last few months and we did A LOT of commercials, so maybe...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a bit off topic, Tom, but I thought it was hilarious:

Last night I was watching a program on TV about commercials that had been shown during super bowls. There was one (I can't even remember the product advertised) where the two people wanted a dog but couldn't decide on a chihuahua or a doberman. The sales person suggested breeding the two and getting the offspring. The resultant 'offspring' was a computer animation of a huge doberman head on a tiny chihuahua body that just got into all sorts of trouble. It had me laughing out loud.

I'm like you, Sibi, when it comes to animals on TV. I always wonder if Tom had anything to do with what I'm seeing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne, that was my companies job. Other trainers worked on that one while I was doing another job simultaneously. That was a very busy time for us. I heard all about it.

So it actually isn't off topic at all. :) It IS Tom's job stuff!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a cool job! ! ! But not everyone can do it.

That is a job performed from heart.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I saw the commercial again. It's the 138 Westminster Purina Dog Show. Don't know of you ever attended one...was just curious.
sibi said:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sibi said:
I saw the commercial again. It's the 138 Westminster Purina Dog Show. Don't know of you ever attended one...was just curious.
sibi said:

Oh. I see now. I'm not a big fan of conformation showing. Just not my thing. I'm more into what a dog can do, than what it looks like. I understand the importance of maintaining a breed standard, but I wish it was a combo of working ability, physical soundness, temperament AND appearance. The first three are the most important to me.

I seem to gravitate to the breeds that are still actually out in the field working. Either the border collie herds the sheep or he doesn't. There's no bias from any judge. The guy with the best herder breeds his dog the most. The dogs that can't cut the mustard are culled from the breeding pool. Same with working retrievers, and the malinois that I love so much. Well in theory anyway...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom, I was into the conformation part of the showing. That's what we want most importantly, physical soundness (conformation). They have too be put together the way they are suppose to and be able to move the way they are suppose to. They also have too have the correct temperament too. All these are what makes them able to do the job the specific breed is suppose too do. The way I look at it. If they don't have the correct conformation/soundness, and temperament, they aren't built correctly to properly do the working part if it. Yes, those that don't pass the conformation of the breed can still do the job. Just maybe not as good or as long or in as healthy of a way, as those that has it all together the way they were meant too be.

I should say that's what good breeders will breed for. Unfortunately, there aren't many of them.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Did you have anything to do with the bear commercial during the game, Tom? That bear leaning over the counter like that cracked me up.
I thought I remember you saying you worked with bears...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
AnnV said:
Did you have anything to do with the bear commercial during the game, Tom? That bear leaning over the counter like that cracked me up.
I thought I remember you saying you worked with bears...

I didn't see the game or commercials. My wife recorded it for me. I was flying to Houston and then driving to Shreveport on Sunday. Bleh. No fun.

Was it the one with Olympic skier Ted Liggety (sp?)? The one where he feels like he forgot something? Yeah, that was me. My friend raised those two bears from cubs and now at 12 years old they are the best in the business. We drove all the way to Breckenridge to do that spot. We only used one bear at a time (he has two) and they put it all together digitally to make it look like there were three at the same time. Its a production company that I work for all the time and they are really a great bunch of people. That was a pretty nice job. Got to visit a friend from high school who now lives near boulder, had fun with the bears, gave the homeowners kid something fun to talk about in school, got caught out in my first serious blizzard... Fun stuff.

The bears are actually brothers, one year apart, and have very different temperaments. Both of them are very good in their own way and they look almost identical. They make a great team.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had to Google it because I love bears. The super bowl commercial was for yogurt, not Ted Ligety. It's a very cute commercial, and a REALLY BIG bear!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Maybe the one you did Tom, is for the Olympics starting tomorrow. Since it involves a skier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen my bear commercial a few times already.