More than one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Hi im a new sulcata owner and was wondering if they like other sullys to keep them company or play with or if they would be better of by themselves.
Also my current is about 50lbs, would it be ok to get a young one and watch them together so it doesnt get hurt until it gets big enough to go on his own with the bigger tort?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Most do better alone. Males together can fight and a male can stress a female trying to breed unless the pen is very large and she can hide. I would not put a small tort with a 50 pounder. I have 2, one large and one small and I plan to keep them apart.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I have 5...an adult and 4 yearlings! They spend the day in the yard together...only because of the gentle nature of my ivory giant (Aladar is not really that big yet...but compared to the babies...he's a giant:p)! I had 2 other adults... a 50 pound male (Mortimer) and a 127 pound male (Diesel). Mort started up with Diesel and found himself on his back one day...it didn't stop him...they battled for months...so I placed Diesel and acquired my blonde gent. Ironically, Mort started with him too. But since Aladar did not defend himself, Mortimer backed off and they started hanging out together...I have NEVER seen that kind of behavior from two males...they even started flashing each other and then hang out (no pun intended) and eat from the same pile (even though I had separate piles of food for each of them). My cousin wanted a tortoise, so rather than help him look around...I placed Mortimer with him...and sometimes I swear Aladar is looking for his buddy!

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Well that certaintly is an interesting story. I was looking to surprise the soon to be Mrs. Borja with a hatchling. I think I'll go ahead with it as there will be plenty of room when it comes time. Thanks again for the advic and the story. Oh one more thing, how does one turtle "flash" another?

Status
Not open for further replies.