More tortoises coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyager

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutter, Ca
I am the guy that inherited 5 tortoises and now I just found out I have 2 more large sulcatas coming in the next few days. I have seen them and they are between 100-150 pounds, they are a breeding pair. I have the room, so that isn't a big issue, yet. Do the large sulcatas have to have the same warm temperatures in the winter as the smaller ones do? I built a tortoise mansion that I will get set in their pen Monday (for the forst batch I got), but am not sure exactly what I will need for a "house" for the big ones coming.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well congrats on getting more. are you inheriting them from other family members? The large ones can do alot better than the little ones. If you have a good warm basking spot, using like a radiant heater or pig planket they will do great. Usually in the winter they kinda stay limited to movement on very cold days and soak up the warmth. But I dont know what your winters are like though.

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
tortadise said:
Well congrats on getting more. are you inheriting them from other family members? The large ones can do alot better than the little ones. If you have a good warm basking spot, using like a radiant heater or pig planket they will do great. Usually in the winter they kinda stay limited to movement on very cold days and soak up the warmth. But I dont know what your winters are like though.

Perfect, I should be all set. Our winters may rarely get into the 30s, but I will put them with my goats and they ahve a pretty good size barn to get in out of the weather, I will have a light in there as well. I inherited them all from a lady I met that had to move into the city, and can't take them with her, so she remembered our conversations and called me out of the blue. I really like them alot, cool to have around

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tortoise are the most gentle sweet and curious animal I have ever worked with and cannot get enough of them. Treat them right and well and they will reward you with natures most beautiful gift. Memories, smiles, and peace.

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
tortadise said:
Tortoise are the most gentle sweet and curious animal I have ever worked with and cannot get enough of them. Treat them right and well and they will reward you with natures most beautiful gift. Memories, smiles, and peace.

You are so right. I get off work after a busy day, grab a beer and sit out with them and watch them ofr a couple hours. They are funny and have their own personalities. I am already looking at building more pens for them and houses. I won't be able to turn any away, and I have maybe a half acre that will be dedicated to them if need be.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sounds great. I have 3 acres dedicated to mine right now. You will need it especially with that aldabra.

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
tortadise said:
Sounds great. I have 3 acres dedicated to mine right now. You will need it especially with that aldabra.

Clue me in on the aldabra. The 4 different species I have right now seem to get along well, the aldabra sems like the most laid back. I have seen some pictures of the aldabras, man oh man they get huge! I am really new to all this and want what is best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.