More tube UVB ???s

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
12-13" away from a Russian hatchling. I haven't gotten her yet, weather is too cold to ship. Just want to work out little details now to make sure it's ready for her.

I don't know squat about Russians but I would think they need more UVB than a tropical tort like a Redfoot. If the UVB results listed above by Tom are correct the bulb you are getting puts out about 1.0 and your 12" is at the manufacturer max distance so your tort would probably get less than that. A box turtle like mine can get what it needs from that but I don't know about Russians needs. My gut feeling is that is not enough UV for them. A high output bulb will give you more like 2.5 on the UVB scale. Just remember that if you get a HO bulb that you need a HO fixture.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I don't know squat about Russians but I would think they need more UVB than a tropical tort like a Redfoot. If the UVB results listed above by Tom are correct the bulb you are getting puts out about 1.0 and your 12" is at the manufacturer max distance so your tort would probably get less than that. A box turtle like mine can get what it needs from that but I don't know about Russians needs. My gut feeling is that is not enough UV for them. A high output bulb will give you more like 2.5 on the UVB scale. Just remember that if you get a HO bulb that you need a HO fixture.

So if it would need more, I could always lower it, since 12" is max, correct? I'll be getting something to read how much UVB is being put out.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
So if it would need more, I could always lower it, since 12" is max, correct? I'll be getting something to read how much UVB is being put out.
The closest you could put it is 6" above the tortoise and even then it's only going to get 1.0 of UVB. The high output bulbs are almost triple that. I'm going off memory here (you can go back and read this entire thread) but a sunny day measures at like 6.0

1.0 May be perfectly fine for you guy but I don't know. For me I spend a few extra bucks bs got the high output bulb. I know too much UVB is just as bad as too little but if full sunlight is 6.0 there is no way my HO bulb is overdoing it on the UVB.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
The closest you could put it is 6" above the tortoise and even then it's only going to get 1.0 of UVB. The high output bulbs are almost triple that. I'm going off memory here (you can go back and read this entire thread) but a sunny day measures at like 6.0

1.0 May be perfectly fine for you guy but I don't know. For me I spend a few extra bucks bs got the high output bulb. I know too much UVB is just as bad as too little but if full sunlight is 6.0 there is no way my HO bulb is overdoing it on the UVB.

Thank you, I'll have to do some more research. Would adding another one be any benefit? Or should at that point I might as well get a high output bulb?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Thank you, I'll have to do some more research. Would adding another one be any benefit? Or should at that point I might as well get a high output bulb?

Actually..if I upgrade to a 50 gallon, would a MVB still be too powerful for that size?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
1 HO is more UVB and cheaper than 2 standard bulbs. Plus you don't have to worry about blinding the with too much light.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Actually..if I upgrade to a 50 gallon, would a MVB still be too powerful for that size?
Maybe. It depends on how far away the bulb will be from the tortoise and how high the sides of the tank are. It will definitely keep it warm.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
So is .7 to 1.0 same for tortoises?

Ferguson zone 2 (UVI 0.7 to 1.0) = box turtles

Ferguson zone 3 (UVI 1.0 to 2.6) = most species of aquatic turtles and tortoises

Excerpt from zone 3 description :
"With zone 3 and above IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to provide a UVB gradient down to zone 1 UVB levels so that reptiles can "photoregulate" and adjust their UVB exposure as needed. Failure to provide a UVB gradient can result in illness, eye & skin damage, or even death."