Morning Glory For A Red Foot?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
Oopsy, I went and planted seeds in my flower beds the other day. Decided I would ask if morning glory flowers are poisonous to a red foot or edible? That would be cool if she cool eat them...Oh and it's all in planters out front away from my tortoises so I'm mainly asking out of curiosity.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Probably not a good thing….

• Common Name: Morning Glory
  • Latin Name: Ipomoea spp.
  • Family Name: Convolvulaceae
The seed of the Ipomoea contain small amounts of a hallucinogenic alkaloid and are also a diuretic, so best avoided. The Ipomoea is closely related to the Convolvulus (bindweed), which may be fed in moderation.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The flowers are fine, if she will eat them; I think she'd probably be more interested in the leaves. My Russian is a big fan of the bindweed mentioned above; she's more "Eh" about morning glory. She's not interested in the flowers on either, just leaves.

It's the seeds that are the problem but so long as the plant is not growing in the enclosure I don't see any harm in offering it.

Because the stem on these are so long and a bit wiry I don't give my tortoise long ropes of it. On the very odd chance she could get tangled up, I cut bindweed down to maybe one foot to two foot lengths.