Moroccan tortoise squeaking and off its food : (

funmumlu

Hi I'm new here because it's not my tortoise, I'm babysitting it for my daughteri she has gone on holiday.

This little tortoise is 2 years old and doesn't seem too happy-squeaking, not eating. I've been giving it daily baths- occasionally it drinks, occasionally it wees, but I can't remember when I saw it eat (lettuce s dandelions have been offered-Usually most acceptable! It has done a tiny poo on some days- smaller than usual.

I know you'll say 'take it to the vet's but daughter on a student grant has less than no money

I've come here for advice really, because Im worried about the little thing who really should be thriving in this sunny weather.

Eyes, ears, nose seem fine, wondering about mouth? constipation? and how long it can go on like this, and if there's anything simple I should be doing or offering. There, it's Squeaked again.

Thank you for your help, from one very worried tortoise grand-parent!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Where does the tortoise live? Can we see photos? This will help us tell you what's wrong :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Has this tortoise been moved to a new habitat while your daughter is a way. A new " place" can cause stress. Does it sound like wet breathing- stuff coming out of the nose?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tortoise are very sensitive to new surroundings and new routines....any change in those can really **** off the tort and can cause the tort to change its behaviors as well (laying about not eating the same and such)....since the tort appears well, I would simply make sure you are keeping with your daughters time schedule for food, soaking---and mucking about...this will allow the tort to feel less stressed...a trip to the vet can prove more harmful than helpful if the tort is actually fine but just put off a bit with the changes...

funmumlu

Thank you for such quick responses.

Little tortoise is in a cardboard box by a sunny window but there's space to hide in the shade too. It is sometimes taken out into the sun or for a walk on the grass or paving but usually just heads for a shady nook.

We haven't set up the light since she brought it home a couple of weeks ago because it's beenso warm and summery and it's been getting lots of sunshine. maybe I should set that up-I've given it a hot water bottle to sit on when I have thought of it

I was holding it by my ear just now...a tiny click every 5-10 seconds ... that will be its breathing. It still wanders, hides, etc, but just has no interest in lettuce or dandelions. Oh, no runny nose or anything.

I do feel it seems lighter than usual.

l'll post a photo later after work.

Again, thank you -you can tell I'm concerned!

Last edited:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thank you for such quick responses.

Little tortoise is in a cardboard box by a sunny window but there's space to hide in the shade too. It is sometimes taken out into the sun or for a walk on the grass or paving but usually just heads for a shady nook.

We haven't set up the light since she brought it home a couple of weeks ago because it's beenso warm and summery and it's been getting lots of sunshine. maybe I should set that up-I've given it a hot water bottle to sit on when I have thought of it

I was holding it by my ear just now...a tiny click every 5-10 seconds ... that will be its breathing. It still wanders, hides, etc, but just has no interest in lettuce or dandelions. Oh, no runny nose or anything.

I do feel it seems lighter than usual.

l'll post a photo later after work.

Again, thank you -you can tell I'm concerned!
Post a photo of him to confirm his type, just read the Mediterranean care sheets for now!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You've made a common mistake. Just because your weather is warm, you figure the baby is warm...not so. He still needs a light where he can warm his inner core up to at LEAST 85F degrees. Think about your own body temperature. You are 98.6F degrees. That's almost 100F degrees. The baby tortoise is cold blooded, so in order to get his body warmed up enough to digest his food, he has to have the light. Because a tortoise needs warmth in order to digest his food, he won't eat if he's not warm.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

funmumlu

I just stopped by at a local reptile centre and the guy made me feel ashamed (on behalf of my daughter) how this little creature has been treated, I have got the uv light set up again now, but he said the set up has not been adequate all this time for it to thrive. I,d need a vet for anti biotics for what he thiught could be a respiratory infection, but basically it needs warmth and light that it,s not been getting. I know my daughter can,t afford to buy and run a proper vivarium, so do I take it all on, buy the medicines and kit for a little thing that may not even survive.

I,ll take a pic of the little thing we all love so much ...

funmumlu

Yvonne g, what you say makes so much sense, thank you, I,m warming it up now and hope it,s not too late :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I'm sure its not too late. Don't let the pet store guy give you a bad time. You didn't know any better and you're trying to learn the right way. That's all in your favor.

I think once you get him a light and warm up his habitat, he probably won't need any antibiotics. Just wait and see.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

funmumlu

:) thank you yvonne

Here it is under its light, I have better pics but will have to hunt for them and dont want any more disturbances for it right now. The 2nd pic is the box where it has been living, although it,s barer than it has been because we got rid of all substrate etc. I move it round into the sun or outside with a grill on top or let it roam in the lawn a bit. We think it,s female but call "him" George.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really need to make some drastic changes to the way you're caring for this tortoise.

Buy a large plastic tub. You can get a pretty big one at a home improvement store for under $10. Get one with a big floor space and short sides. You don't need it to be deep, but rather large on the bottom.

Here's what you're striving for:

christmas tree bin-1.jpg Christmas tree bin-2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to be able to moisten the substrate. A moist substrate helps the baby's shell to grow healthy. He needs walking around space. Exercise helps him work up an appetite and to grow healthy. He needs light to provide the required heat for him to grow healthy.

I'm so glad you found our Forum. We'll get you and your baby up to speed in no time!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

funmumlu

Horrible photo, looks like it is in jail, but with a penny to show scale. The other pic, hospital corner, didn,t come out big so I,ll try again.20140716_170546.jpg