Moroccan tortoise squeaking and off its food : (

funmumlu

Oh Tyanna, I was going to reply earlier with better news but we,ve have a stressful few hours because the tort has now started throwing up, a new thing and he,s all feeble now.

What a nice day he had, accepting lots of babyfood and squeaking far less. He had a nice stroll on a sunny hillside and seemed stronger.

We had a call from the vet on thurs to say he needed worm medicine, but we couldn't get over there yesterday or today to pick up the prescription. Then we noticed actual worms in his bath water later today. And regurgitated babyfood all over the place. More recently the sick has been less and browner. I gave him a warm bath (hydrating is important if you are sick) and now he,s curled up asleep, but I hate him being so limp.

It seems the vet is open for an hour tomorrow morning so instead of waiting til Monday as planned and assuming he makes it through the night we,ll get ourselves along there asap and get that medicine down him.

My next question ... can you get sick from tortoises? I have felt fluey(headache and a little feversh) and upset tum for a few days. I went to the pharmacist today, she said human symptoms for worms aren,t like that, mainly very itchy, and she thinks it,s a coincidence that I,ve been tending to a poorly tortoise. Any opinions?

Oh, daughter is home and she,s been sharing the load :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Squeaking sounds like respiratory distress. Throwing up is not a good sign.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

funmumlu

Well I think it,s all over - couldn,t sleep for worry, came down and poor baby is unresponsive. I gave it a warm bath, have put it under its light, it,s all a bit hopeless though. There,s no life there.

More evidence of a little throwing up.

Now I have to break the news to daughter, she's still fast asleep, it,s going to be a sad day here.

If only ... we,d got that parasite medicine straight away ... gone as an emergency late last night instead of waiting ... we,d kept the light on all night ...

Very sad

funmumlu

20140727_151353.jpg Much sadness today. All that future has come to a sudden end. Poor little thing.

We are talking about burials etc. Does anyone know how to keep the shell or it it all too gross and distressing.

This photo was just a couple of days ago when he seemed to have turned the corner and started getting better.

:(

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you did all you could. :(

funmumlu

Thank you @AmRoKo and thanks to everyone here for their support, I shall be sad to leave the tortoiseforum, you are a lovely community.

Just as a PS, I have an appointment tomorrow at the doc,s ... it seems the little tort had roundworm and possibly tapeworm, so I need to make sure I don,t have them too!!

maryalmeida81

So sorry for your loss , he's not in any more pain or distress !! Mary, Shelby

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum