Most eggs in a season?

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
This year has been the second producing year for a female of mine I acquired as a hatchling. She surprised me with a clutch of 10 at the beginning of the season (my red foots seem to lay eggs on a "season", starting in November and usually lasting til about late May), then another clutch of 11 in January. Well, last night she laid a clutch of 12, making a grand total of 33 eggs in one "season". While the fertility may be low, I'm still pretty impressed with the quantity. I expect she may have another clutch this year.

So, out of curiosity, how many eggs have ya'll obtained from a female in a single year/season?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Geeze that's a lot for a Redfoot. I remember you bringing this up before. Man that's a lot of eggs. Kinda rules out the theory I had before of her possibly holding them in. I've never had that many from northern, eastern or westerns, gran Chaco can throw quite large clutches this size easy. Just a happy camper I suppose with lots of follicles.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Geeze that's a lot for a Redfoot. I remember you bringing this up before. Man that's a lot of eggs. Kinda rules out the theory I had before of her possibly holding them in. I've never had that many from northern, eastern or westerns, gran Chaco can throw quite large clutches this size easy. Just a happy camper I suppose with lots of follicles.

I'm quite surprised as well. And she is not particularly large….About 11 1/2"? Seems to be about 3 months between clutches, so I suppose if she was producing one every 6 weeks, the multi-clutch thing is still a slight possibility, but I'm doubting it.

Somehow I get big clutches. One of my females I hatched produced for the first time over the weekend. 9 eggs, from a 10" animal. Haha.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm quite surprised as well. And she is not particularly large….About 11 1/2"? Seems to be about 3 months between clutches, so I suppose if she was producing one every 6 weeks, the multi-clutch thing is still a slight possibility, but I'm doubting it.

Somehow I get big clutches. One of my females I hatched produced for the first time over the weekend. 9 eggs, from a 10" animal. Haha.

Was that hatchling you produced from the one who lays large clutches? Wonder if it could be genetics? Or perhaps environmental factors are in play?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Well then that does make sense. Mine lay every 6 weeks or so, sometimes 4-5 weeks. Just keep track of her. Perhaps over the years she will begin to lay on a typical cycle in comparison to the species. But maybe not. Anatomy can most certainly have an odd ball.