Most personable species?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I have only have a Greek tortoise but he is awesome and sooo active and really nosy. When I am spot checking his enclosure he chases my hand. It's hilarious! Must upload a video of it!
So I second @Tidgy's Dad and say Greek :)

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I have to vote redfoot. As much as I adore my sulcata they have much more personality! It's hard to get anything done in their enclosure when they are around. Always want to see what's going on and get a shell scratch. Both my adults lean into me when I scratch them... Just sooo adorable! Scratch their butts and they do the butt wiggle! Also have a box turtle. He's fun to watch but has no interest In interacting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to vote redfoot. As much as I adore my sulcata they have much more personality! It's hard to get anything done in their enclosure when they are around. Always want to see what's going on and get a shell scratch. Both my adults lean into me when I scratch them... Just sooo adorable! Scratch their butts and they do the butt wiggle! Also have a box turtle. He's fun to watch but has no interest In interacting.

Just wait until your sulcata gets a little older...

Then come back an re-vote.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Owen, a baby rescued baby Hippo and Mzee a 130 yo Aldabran tortoise, were placed together in an animal park in Kenya and formed a surprising bond. There are several videos of them on You Tube, great stuff,
Here is a documentary about it –

part 1

part 2

Better than anything on TV!

We can easily explain bonding with different species for survival and food, but that doesn’t explain it all. Anyone I’ve known who has kept several tortoises over a long period of time could describe each individual “personality” and ways each responded to them. My two 'babies' Cupcake a 18 mo old Aldabra, and 'Tiny' a 30 mo old Sulcata each have an individual unique way to relating to me.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
mmm. This is an excellent thread. I assume no one is bias to there chosen pet species. lol (yeah right)
I'm going reds for interactiveness. However there are different characters amongst them. Some come up to me around my legs like a cat would, some follow me around like a dog and some stay clear. I have one that looks at me gone out if I stop stroking his head. So there are differences within the same species.
BTW don't underestimate the homes hingeback. I have one that is not scared of anything and very inquisitive. Also likes having her head stroked.
However looking from the mutual side of things and from what I have seen I think Aldabra or sulcata look to be the most interactive.
Does anyone know how Galapagos reacts amongst human contact.

REDS,REDS,REDS, REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS. Its like being at a football match. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
mmm. This is an excellent thread. I assume no one is bias to there chosen pet species. lol (yeah right)
I'm going reds for interactiveness. However there are different characters amongst them. Some come up to me around my legs like a cat would, some follow me around like a dog and some stay clear. I have one that looks at me gone out if I stop stroking his head. So there are differences within the same species.
BTW don't underestimate the homes hingeback. I have one that is not scared of anything and very inquisitive. Also likes having her head stroked.
However looking from the mutual side of things and from what I have seen I think Aldabra or sulcata look to be the most interactive.
Does anyone know how Galapagos reacts amongst human contact.

REDS,REDS,REDS, REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS,REDS. Its like being at a football match. :)
Come on you WHITES !!!!
Errmmm !!

M

Maggie Cummings

LY5Rags9nKG-KVM__k7q1cmzmLIpiyAtRQwhmkpdAII=s187-p-no

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
If I walk over to Spuds table, he comes walking over and gives me demanding looks lol

And if he wants food he will sit in his food bowl and stare at me. Once after I ignored his demand for food, he started trying to eat the bowl so I gave in and gave him more food.

He certainly wears the trousers in out relationship lol
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434900129.724962.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If I walk over to Spuds table, he comes walking over and gives me demanding looks lol

And if he wants food he will sit in his food bowl and stare at me. Once after I ignored his demand for food, he started trying to eat the bowl so I gave in and gave him more food.

He certainly wears the trousers in out relationship lol
View attachment 135428
HaHa. That's funny. Now can anyone spot the mistake with this statement (He certainly wears the trousers in our relationship lol). :D:D:D