Mother found hatchling please advise/ identify

Zedmondson

Location (City and/or State)
Fort worth
Hi all!

My mother found a hatchling on our land in West Virginia and was determined to bring it home to Fort worth, Texas and care for it. I have no idea what species it is or how to care for it. I've been doing my best with Google results but I know how hit and miss that method is. Please help if someone could help identify and advise on proper care I'd really appreciate it.20220504_154826.jpg20220504_155113.jpg20220504_154834.jpg20220504_154726.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just FYI - what your mother did was against the law.

The baby should be set up in near swamp-like conditions. Because of their tiny size they dehydrate quickly. He should have lots of cover. Edible leaves is good cover. At this age they are mostly carnivorous, but greens and fruit should also be offered.

Zedmondson

Fort worth
I checked the laws and since he is not one of West Virginias 6 protected species, I own less than 4, and do not plan to sell or barter the turtle I am ok since I have a residence in West Virginia.
Just FYI - what your mother did was against the law.

The baby should be set up in near swamp-like conditions. Because of their tiny size they dehydrate quickly. He should have lots of cover. Edible leaves is good cover. At this age they are mostly carnivorous, but greens and fruit should also be offered.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry. . . I thought you said he was removed to Texas.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I was the one who referred this member to the forum. I work in the pet store industry and this member showed up in my store with questions. I am the dog trainer for the store but I have a redfoot.
Please give this new member detailed instructions on how to set up habitat , explain exactly what foods are for carnivorous hatchlings, ideas for what exactly what fruit and greens are good. I have a redfoot so I have no idea how to take care of a box turtle. This new member is a very new beginner to the tortoise/ turtle world. Please help! From what I understood from This new member is his hatchlings is in Texas now and needs to be kept alive. Thanks for any help!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma

@Diane Berner If anyone else comes to you, boxies are nearly identical to baby red foot/forest tortoise care, but the warm side doesn't have to be as hot. Deep soil to dig and warmth on one side of the enclosure to help stabilize a humid environment. A water saucer is fine, they don't need a pond/moss.

@OP You can get ideas for a proper habitat by browsing the box turtle section of the forums. The main points you will need to research besides diet are UV light, heat, and humidity.

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC

Toombsk16

Brooklyn, CT
I checked the laws and since he is not one of West Virginias 6 protected species, I own less than 4, and do not plan to sell or barter the turtle I am ok since I have a residence in West Virginia.
Good for you. The person who replied should be more compassionate about all living things than simply stating what they “Think” they know about the law. Most decent people would have done the same thing. If it is something your interested in, Tortoises make great pets. They are smart attentive, affectionate, curious and very cute. Compared to many exotic pets, they are not difficult to keep and care for. If you choose to do this I’m sure you will find plenty of good information about them. Baby’s need soaks once or twice a day, UVB Lighting elevated humidity and food. We have a baby Sulcata, (from Africa that grows to be the 3rd largest in the world.) and he is absolutely awesome and knows us now and welcomes attention.He enjoys watching “Elmo” while getting his soaks. If you keep it, enjoy. If not I would suggest taking him to a rescue and not just putting him back out where he was found. (Again, compassion so he isn’t as likely to become food for a predator)

Obi’ and Elmo on the iPad

Attachments

• F4F12883-8996-4794-A20C-034F48631AE1.jpeg
    F4F12883-8996-4794-A20C-034F48631AE1.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 7

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good for you. The person who replied should be more compassionate about all living things than simply stating what they “Think” they know about the law. Most decent people would have done the same thing. If it is something your interested in, Tortoises make great pets. They are smart attentive, affectionate, curious and very cute. Compared to many exotic pets, they are not difficult to keep and care for. If you choose to do this I’m sure you will find plenty of good information about them. Baby’s need soaks once or twice a day, UVB Lighting elevated humidity and food. We have a baby Sulcata, (from Africa that grows to be the 3rd largest in the world.) and he is absolutely awesome and knows us now and welcomes attention.He enjoys watching “Elmo” while getting his soaks. If you keep it, enjoy. If not I would suggest taking him to a rescue and not just putting him back out where he was found. (Again, compassion so he isn’t as likely to become food for a predator)

Obi’ and Elmo on the iPad
If you're referring to my response, I am not well versed in how many or if you are even allowed to take them from the wild, but I DO know it is illegal to remove them from their home state and take them to Texas. This is merely an informational statement made for the original poster's education. No fingers were pointed or shame intended.

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
I am a native West Virginian and this law was just made public in the past year. If you scroll down to turtles you will see the Eastern box turtle is now included as of March 2021

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
I am a native West Virginian and this law was just made public in the past year. If you scroll down to turtles you will see the Eastern box turtle is now included as of March 2021

Actually it was May last year, not March. Typo

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's weird how the laws in Ohio are now or were worded in the past for box turtles. I don't know if they've changed the laws. Even though it's somewhat illegal to take them from the wild, it's more illegal if you turn them loose after having them in captivity after 30 days.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's weird how the laws in Ohio are now or were worded in the past for box turtles. I don't know if they've changed the laws. Even though it's somewhat illegal to take them from the wild, it's more illegal if you turn them loose after having them in captivity after 30 days.
Well after reading the law in West Virginia, you can still collect them for eating.😜 but it kinda looks like it's an out for citizens that aren't poaching and putting them up for sale also. Or just a way to prosecute if needed if you know what I mean.

Rick_P53

NORFOLK - VA
I have Eastern Box Turtles myself. Mine are now about 6 months old. The one thing that they really like is Canadian Nightcrawlers. A turtle that small will not be able to eat a whole worm. Try offering it about 1/3 of a worm.
One of the things that I do the keep them hydrated is that I feed them in a plastic container with about a 1/2inch of water. This gets them to drink as they eat. I also leave them in the water for about an hour or more. Lately, I introduced pond turtle food into the water, and they are eating it also. Please remember to feed them every day. Remember to provide a place where they can hide. At that age and size, they spend most of their time hiding.
The couple at Garden State Tortoise have a lot of information on keeping Box Turtles. It is a great site to visit for information on American Box Turtles.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Kudo's to Diane for referring someone to this forum......that's like handing a Ivy grade turtle-education to someone who knows how to read & ask questions!

OP;
I've already resigned myself to the fact that one day, SWAT is going to come.....don't know which reason yet, might be for originally taking Matilda from the wild or something not as felonious.....but once you've resigned yourself that it's inevitable, it's easier to sleep at night.....

I will also admit in full honesty that since coming here.....,,,,,,,that I would no longer take a box turtle from the wild.

good luck,

jeff