Mouth infections of my red foot tortoise

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, I recently noticed my red foot tortoise apparently has an infection to his/her mouth especially when feeding. It appears to be in pain when biting & stopped eating after a couple of bites, he/she was using it's front claws to scratch at it's mouth, it could have possibly been hurt when biting on a hard or dirty object or it could even be the cuttlefish bone that was kept in the enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It sounds like something might be lodged in the roof of his mouth.
Hopefully it'll be mysteriously gone by tomorrow.
Can you see anything?
Discoloration, blood, anything unusual?
Try a nice long soak and see if it helps.

willee638

HK
It sounds like something might be lodged in the roof of his mouth.
Hopefully it'll be mysteriously gone by tomorrow.
Can you see anything?
Discoloration, blood, anything unusual?
Try a nice long soak and see if it helps.
Thank you, I did noticed several days earlier he/she was reacting odd when at feeding time. My tort would open it's mouth wide as if very uncomfortable & I saw brown colour around his/her beak area, at the time thought it was just dirt or pieces of the bedding. I was so distressed over his/her behaviour I went & bought a herbal based mouth disinfectant to treat it from advice of an article on red foot tortoise mouth infections, is it a good idea to refrain from feeding it for a day?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you, I did noticed several days earlier he/she was reacting odd when at feeding time. My tort would open it's mouth wide as if very uncomfortable & I saw brown colour around his/her beak area, at the time thought it was just dirt or pieces of the bedding. I was so distressed over his/her behaviour I went & bought a herbal based mouth disinfectant to treat it from advice of an article on red foot tortoise mouth infections, is it a good idea to refrain from feeding it for a day?
If he eats, feed him. And keep him well hydrated.
Could it be a piece of substrate?
(@Yvonne G how do you safely pry open a tortoises mouth?)