MOUTH ROT, HELP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I think my little guy has mouth rot. He has had a brown crust on the side of his face/ mouth for a little while, but he is sheding, so i din't pay much attention to it. But now he has not eaten for a week and his mouth is looking really white. I am looking for a medicine I can treat at home. Does anyone know what I can use?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's what I found on a 'net search:

"Treatment

Treatment of mild cases with no anorexia consists of improving the husbandry and nutrition and twice daily topical application of dilute iodine (Betadine) or chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) solution. Ask your veterinarian about the appropriate dilution for your particular pet. It is important that a solution and not a scrub is used. Scrubs contain soap and are irritating to the mouth. Hydrogen peroxide is also sometimes used as a topical medication.

In addition to the above, moderate cases of mouth rot usually require topical (applied to the mouth), parenteral (oral or injectable) antibiotics, or both. The bacteria that cause mouth infections in reptiles are often resistant to many antibiotics. Therefore, your veterinarian may need to change antibiotics once the culture results are available.

More serious cases require topical or surgical removal of the caseous debris, nutritional support (see anorexia in snakes), fluid therapy.

In mild and moderate cases, if husbandry improvements are accomplished by the owner in a timely fashion, the prognosis (estimate for getting better) for recovery is good to excellent. The prognosis is guarded for cases with significant caseous debris and grave for reptiles with significant bone involvement."

M

Maggie Cummings

First pry his mouth open and look and see if he has a fuzz growing in there...

Prinmel

5 Year Member
Yes he has white stuff in his mouth... on the roof. How do I apply the above mentioned medicines? [/align]

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Q-Tip. But you're past that point as it sounds like dehydration is a big factor. You need to get to a vet. I personally use hydrogen peroxide for slight disorders but you're past that.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I will make an appointment for him tomorrow. He was actually walking around and eating his cuttle bone tonight... He also has a dry looking pink powdery looking stuff right around the inside edge of his beak on the top. I am going to get him some more vitamins, I cant really figure out why this happened except that maybe its getting cold and I didn't get the heat bulb in there fast enough.
If I ever see it again, to catch it quickly do I swab the inside of his mouth with a Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide??? is that safe? I will talk to the vet about it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.