Moved female leopard 1.5 hour away from old home

lauralynn

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, Florida
I recently moved a hour and a half within the State of Florida with my 6 year old confirmed female leopard tortoise. At our new home I was able to build her a much larger habitat that’s she had previously. Her previous habitat was 4’x6’ rabbit run and her new habitat is a 16’x16’ solid fence with 2’ walls. She also has access to a large heated dog house to escape cold and rain. Once she was let into her new habitat she immediately found a corner and began digging with her back legs. I assumed that this was a nesting attempt (she has laid three infertile clutches in the past) and I left her alone all night. The temperature dropped from 80 to 60 F degrees overnight and by morning she had not laid any eggs. Two days have passed and the temps have been between 50-70 F. She is still searching for corners and digging with her hind legs during the day. Once the sun sets it she stops digging and hunkers down in that one spot. I worry about leaving her alone at night because temps are currently in the 40s. Should I leave her alone to dig in the cold at night, or should I move her into her heated house?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I move mine inside if they haven't started to lay. Otherwise I position a 250 watt CHE over her, but not close enough to burn her new growth. I have an old wire garden chair that's perfect for the job.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently moved a hour and a half within the State of Florida with my 6 year old confirmed female leopard tortoise. At our new home I was able to build her a much larger habitat that’s she had previously. Her previous habitat was 4’x6’ rabbit run and her new habitat is a 16’x16’ solid fence with 2’ walls. She also has access to a large heated dog house to escape cold and rain. Once she was let into her new habitat she immediately found a corner and began digging with her back legs. I assumed that this was a nesting attempt (she has laid three infertile clutches in the past) and I left her alone all night. The temperature dropped from 80 to 60 F degrees overnight and by morning she had not laid any eggs. Two days have passed and the temps have been between 50-70 F. She is still searching for corners and digging with her hind legs during the day. Once the sun sets it she stops digging and hunkers down in that one spot. I worry about leaving her alone at night because temps are currently in the 40s. Should I leave her alone to dig in the cold at night, or should I move her into her heated house?
I vote put her in the heated night house.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I vote with the others. They should not be left out in that cold of temps. I too like Yvonne, will put heat over them if they start to lay and it's cold out. In fact that's why I sold my females, they always wanted to lay in late fall when it was cold.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I would put your leopard inside the heated house at night.

It's a new space, it will take time for her to learn where everything is, including her heat source. Putting her inside the heated house every night and letting her come out on her own every morning is the quickest way for her to learn where to go.

My male leopard turns 10 next week. I've had him since he hatched and because I've moved a lot, so has he. In his 10 years he's lived in at least 13 different enclosures. I've seen first hand how a new space can throw them off for a little bit while they are learning the new layout.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would be worried about predators like rats getting to her at night too.