Moved to Turkey.. Need help with a little guy we found.

nerdtek

Location (City and/or State)
Turkey
Hello!

We moved form the states a few years ago to Turkey. We live in a kind of like suburb place near the black sea.
We live half way up a mountain and around our house we have many Spur tortoises. They are very used to us and people are very fond of them here. we have a garden and a river near by. They come into our garden all the time and eat our veggies and we love it. we never feed them non "native food". The other day my wife and I were shocked to see dead baby tortoises in the woods as if eaten by something.. very sad. Then when we were driving home and in the middle of the road we saw a tiny tiny little guy just siting there. I couldn't help it but took it home. Now I know we live in his natural habitat so that is a plus, but I am worried to just let him go because of the gruesome scene we saw with some other babies. We want to give him a plus one start! Would be OK if we took care of him for a while outside in a safe place? its day two now. we gave him a lukewarm bath he loved it drank water and like a cat "cleaned his head" with his little hands. we didn't know what he ate so we followed him for hours in the garden warding off our dogs and cats and two big tortoises that were roaming around in the yard. Then this little guy stopped and started eating these dandelion like leaves. so we picked him up, put him in his big plastic cage with grass and a little shallow bowl of water and those dandy lion leaves. He went to town eating from our hand and on his own. When I said we should let him go in the back yard my wife started to cry and said he would probably get eaten. We do live in the wild so probably she is right. I couldn't bring my self to do it. What should I do? keep him/her OK for a while till he or she gets a bit bigger then let him out or let him on his own now? The Tortoises we have in our garden are our regulars, we can actually tell them apart and they are always coming and going, they are not scared of us at all they come up to us! There is one with only 3 legs and a little stump where the 4th should be and we find him sometimes on the road and we put him on the other side in the direction he was heading as so not to disturb his path. Then the next day, behold "Stumpy" as we call him is walking around in our front yard again!. Sorry for the long post. We love these little guys! Kind regards
Abe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Abe, and welcome to the Forum!

It was really nice that you rescued the baby to keep it from being run over or eaten, but there might be laws in your country against touching the wildlife. If you do a little research, and learn that it is ok to pick them up and keep them, then I would build some sort of little outside 'box' with an open top that you can cover with wire to keep birds and other critters out. If the bigger tortoises eat in your garden, then building a baby box over a portion of the garden might give the baby a little more variety in his diet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Man, that is a tough call....the only thing that I would say is, go with your gut....if you live smack in the natural land and the tort is in your care for awhile---what is the harm?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How cool that is to find those baby torts. Care to share some photo of this little guy you found?

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
How awesome i never saw a tortoise in wild. My mother brought photos last year, while on vacation in Croatia she spotted tortoises outside, i think they were greeks, not really sure since photos weren't really clear.

nerdtek

Turkey
Hello Thank you all for your help!
Yes we got a giant rubber maid bin and I drilled holes in them and put a mickey mouse cover of chicken wire! He is very happy. As for laws I actually was told by the locals including local government that they are "semi" endangered and if we are capable we should help the wee one.
So I guess we will have him as a guest for a while. Anyways when he or she "i think it is a she the tail is stubby", get big enough to let go, I think she will just live near our house so we will see her all the time. Yes we have so many pictures. I will get them from my phone and my wife's and upload them for ya'all to see.

Again thank you very much for your help!
Abe

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Pictures is a I need to see . Pictures and more pictures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG, he's so tiny! And he has extra scutes, so you may be safe in referring to the baby as she/her. In the first picture it looks like there's something wrong with her beak. No?

nerdtek

Turkey
OMG, he's so tiny! And he has extra scutes, so you may be safe in referring to the baby as she/her. In the first picture it looks like there's something wrong with her beak. No?

Yes she is cute :D
I looked at the pic and yes it seems like her front beak is missing! but its not. she is A ok. I think the leaf is folded in such a way that it hinders the sight of her beak!

nerdtek

Turkey
here are some gifs of the videos we took! Sorry if I am posting too much.
The first one is the little girl. The second one is a snippet of a video my wife took of a big guy that was walking around our front porch. They even sometimes come into the house if we leave the door open, hang out for a while then mosey on out! turt1.gifturt23.gif

Newbie1904

I need help as well I am in turkey for a holiday and I found a baby tortoise in our front yard of our house. he seems to have hurt one of his front legs and I have no idea where I can put him or if there are sanctuaries that I can put him in. I am leaving in a few days, can you help?