Moving 1 year old tort to the yard?

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hello,

My eastern hermanns turns one tomorrow and he’s ( not sure if its actually a him but he was incubated at a low temp so I say he) grown so much since I had him as a hatchling. I have kept him inside but now I want to make him an outdoor enclosure in the yard. I live in PA so this will only work 3-4 months out of the year. I also don‘t think I want to leave him out there full time. Maybe 3-4 hours in the yard a day? PA is famous for squirrels and raccoons that tear through everything. I’m also worried about him getting out even if I add chicken wire and sides, he digs A LOT. The yard isnt treated with anything but I also need to know if the grass is safe, I dont think theres anything in the yard that would be poisonous to him if he ate it. If I did do this is it ok for him to live inside and outside? He is like a little reptile kid to me and i want to make sure his safety comes first. Thank you so much for the advice, as always!

Domm

PA
Hes too young to live outside. Let him out for an hour or so on nice days then back to what should be a closed chamber.

He is in a closed chamber enclosure now and thriving so that’s why I was hesitant to do this. I let him out on the deck in a rubber maid container with water and a hide for about 45 minutes on nice days. Thanks for the advice I guess I’ll continue to just do that until he’s older and ready!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

My eastern hermanns turns one tomorrow and he’s ( not sure if its actually a him but he was incubated at a low temp so I say he) grown so much since I had him as a hatchling. I have kept him inside but now I want to make him an outdoor enclosure in the yard. I live in PA so this will only work 3-4 months out of the year. I also don‘t think I want to leave him out there full time. Maybe 3-4 hours in the yard a day? PA is famous for squirrels and raccoons that tear through everything. I’m also worried about him getting out even if I add chicken wire and sides, he digs A LOT. The yard isnt treated with anything but I also need to know if the grass is safe, I dont think theres anything in the yard that would be poisonous to him if he ate it. If I did do this is it ok for him to live inside and outside? He is like a little reptile kid to me and i want to make sure his safety comes first. Thank you so much for the advice, as always!
Your plan listed here is perfect. Make a safe enclosure and give him a few hours a day in nice weather. Soak him after sunning sessions. Make sure there is always some shade and cover, and watch temps very carefully as hotter summer weather approaches.

If your grass isn't treated with chemicals, it should be safe.

Chicken wire isn't that strong. Use welded wire or 1/2 inch hardware cloth for better protection. I attach it to my wooden frames with 1 5/8 deck screws and fender washers. Staples can be pulled up by a determined raccoon or coyote.