Moving Across State Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

whughes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi! So I am a California native, getting ready to move to Oregon for a little while. I'm planning on taking my Greek tort, 6 goldfish, and possibly a harlequin macaw with me. I'm planning on packing up the Subaru and road tripping it with them north and I have a few questions since I am still somewhat new to the world of caring for exotic animals recreationally.

I've been trying to do some research on customs crossing the Oregon/CA border and what the respective governments' policies on these animals are. Do I need permitting/documents from a vet? I will NOT be breeding anyone or anything up there, the bunch of us will just be roommates and we'll keep to ourselves. I know less about Oregon, but I know California can be pretty strict about what comes into the state. I'm terrified of getting caught at the border and not being allowed in on either side of this trip. I have acquired all these guys while in the state of California through legitimate exchanges. Does anyone out there have experience with this or can point me to some good resources?

Also, the drive is going to be around 10 hours each way and I'm nervous about my tort's temperature on this trek. Is there a clever way to keep him warm on our journey? He does have a little plastic transport tote that he's comfortable in, and we've taken road trips up to two hours round-trip with no heat source and that's gone well. He does have somewhat of a depressed immune system, so thinking about him going without heat for that long makes me a little worried.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure why your worried. Who, with any authority, would know you have them? Is there a border patrol you have to go through once you reach the border of Cali and Oregon? Not that I ever heard of. As for traveling with the tort. Your car has a heater doesn't it? If it gets too cold, turn on the heater.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have traveled and done this.
Buy a power inverter and plug it into lighter or??
Clamp on a heat light to something by the dash on the passengers side.
Put the torn is a small container with substrate, for comfort.
Have a ? 50 w heat bulb on, making sure the tort temp is what you ate looking for and that the light is secure.

I hope this makes sense.

Good luck

whughes

5 Year Member
California
Kathy, thanks that helps a lot! I'll start trying to hunt down a power inverter!

Wellington, according to my research, there are check points along the border. As to if I am stopped, the herp and fish are pretty low key, however if the macaw is with me, he'll probably draw attention. And I don't want to be sneaky, I want to be fully prepared if there is a chance that 1) I am stopped/interviewed and 2) I do need paperwork for them, etc.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
This is not some dystopian science fiction novel.

Just drive from A to B.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh said:
This is not some dystopian science fiction novel.

Just drive from A to B.

Yup...Now, we're not allowed to promote "rule-breaking"...But, however, I myself know of no rules prohibiting it. Nobody will ever catch you, IF there is a law prohibit it....Point A to point B.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I found the stations you're talking about http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/ExteriorExclusion/borders_map.html but they are for keeping stuff from going INTO California, not leaving it. They don't care what you take out of the state. The one on HWY 5 is even in the middle of a town, so you can literally drive around it. You can also call them without giving them your information (call from a phone that isn't yours, if you're paranoid enough) and ask them what you can take through and if you'll be searched.

whughes

5 Year Member
California
Thanks Talka! That's the map I found earlier and got me wondering. Good to know! Out of the state I'm less worried about, it's when we all move back to CA I'm worried about. But I figure they are legal to have/obtain in California soooooo? I just want to be on top of everything/educate myself on this topic.

tildatron

5 Year Member
I used to drive between California and Oregon regularly. You will not be stopped on your way into Oregon, and the chances of you getting stopped going to California are very slim. They are not going to be concerned with pets, mostly they want to be sure you aren't bringing in agriculture that may pose a problem (ie...they going to ask you if you have any fruit in your car). To be on the safe side, have copies of veterinary records for your animals on hand that show a clean bill of health.

As an aside, I am getting ready to drive across the country with my tortoise in the car. I recently invested in a good quality temperature gun so that I could get precise readings on her and her tub. As well as keeping the heat on in the car, I have a camping style cook stove (its a jetboil) that I can use to make hot water bottles for warmth with no chemicals. I also bought a power inverter so I can use her uvb bulb on the trip. Another possibility besides the hot water bottle is to put some rice in a damp cotton bag and heat it for about 30 seconds in the microwave. It should make it warm but not so hot that you can't hold it in your hand.

Ten hours is not a terribly long drive, and I'm sure you won't have trouble at the border. Good luck with your move!

whughes

5 Year Member
California
Tildatron, thank you thank you thank you for sharing - that is a huge load off my mind! That really helps a lot. Thanks for the great input everyone, you're the best! Time to go start packing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.