Moving and bringing Sulcatas with

SallyALP

Location (City and/or State)
Chandler AZ
I’m moving and taking my 2 -24 year old Sulcatas with. I live in Chandler AZ ( SE of Phoenix) they were raised here and have been living in the back yard exclusively for the last 15+ years. I allowed them to dig their own VERY deep hole. I built a 6’ barn over the top and have a heat lamp over the hole opening inside for the winter months that go below 60. They are healthy and happy sisters.
I am now moving. Do you know at their age will they probably dig another deep hole? Do you think it is possible to have the same type of set up in the new yard?
Thanks! SallyALP

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, welcome and congrats on the move and the length of time you have had your Sulcata. I also have 2 Sulcata, mine do not dig, my previous Sulcata was over 100 lbs and he did not dig. Do your tortoises have a hide or a shed to sleep in? If not, that is one reason they dig a burrow, they want to get out of the heat/sun, and they need a safe place to sleep.
I'd set up a tort shed at your new place. My shed is 20'x12', inside there's basking lights and water and sleeping boxes. My big Sulcata don't dig because they have the shed to use as a burrow.

SallyALP

Chandler AZ
I’m more limited on space at this house so I’m hoping they dig again but yes, I’ll be bringing their shed with. They are fed and their water is outside the shed. There are several shade areas in their new space. I’m more concerned when the temp drops this winter

SallyALP

Chandler AZ
Hi, welcome and congrats on the move and the length of time you have had your Sulcata. I also have 2 Sulcata, mine do not dig, my previous Sulcata was over 100 lbs and he did not dig. Do your tortoises have a hide or a shed to sleep in? If not, that is one reason they dig a burrow, they want to get out of the heat/sun, and they need a safe place to sleep.
I'd set up a tort shed at your new place. My shed is 20'x12', inside there's basking lights and water and sleeping boxes. My big Sulcata don't dig because they have the shed to use as a burrow.
thanks for your note. They have a new shed. What type of basking lights do you recommend?

SallyALP

Chandler AZ
Thanks for your reply. Yes they do have a shed . What type of basking lamps do you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m moving and taking my 2 -24 year old Sulcatas with. I live in Chandler AZ ( SE of Phoenix) they were raised here and have been living in the back yard exclusively for the last 15+ years. I allowed them to dig their own VERY deep hole. I built a 6’ barn over the top and have a heat lamp over the hole opening inside for the winter months that go below 60. They are healthy and happy sisters.
I am now moving. Do you know at their age will they probably dig another deep hole? Do you think it is possible to have the same type of set up in the new yard?
Thanks! SallyALP
Where are they moving too?

You've been lucky, but its too cold underground for them in winter in AZ. A heat lamp at the surface doesn't do anything to the ground temps even a few inches down.

I let mine burrow during the hot summer months and then catch them on the surface in fall and block of their burrow with a sheet of plywood. Then, for winter, they sleep in their heated boxes above ground. They make this transition with no problem. When it warms back up in spring, I open the burrow back up and they find it within a day or two.

Here is an example of a heated night box that would work well for you:

You can get them to dig where you want by starting the first two or three feet of a burrow for them. They will usually find it and take over.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
FYI check the yard for safe plants and grasses. Do you know if or when they used pesticide?