1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Moving from Canada to US with a tortoise - Need help with Permit?

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Souptugo, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Souptugo

Souptugo Active Member

Hello all. My wife and I are moving to Minnesota from Canada July 1st next year. We will be there for 1 year.

We currently have a 2.5 year old Hermann's tortoise and he will be moving along with us.

Does anyone have experience with bringing a tortoise from Canada into the US? What permits are necessary? Could someone please show me where to go and apply for such a permit? or where to start looking for such information? It's not so clear what I need to do.

Thank you so much.

James
  2. MPRC

MPRC Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi James. I think your first resource should be consulting a reptile vet either in the US or Canada to ask them if they know the import procedures. Some countries and some animals require an exam and health certificate, some require quarantine, etc. For a reptile there may be no regulations OR there may be a whole pile of them. I have no idea.
  3. Souptugo

Souptugo Active Member

Thanks! I will contact my vet here and have him checked out anyways. I will also call a vet in Minnesota for some leads.
  4. enchilada

enchilada Well-Known Member

or you just drive from canada to US with it.
    its a herman . 1. its not native to north america 2. its not on IUCN red list
    so no one cares. unless you want whole lot bureaucratic troubles from both US and canada customs
    Maro2Bear likes this.
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

You've got it turned around. It's Canada that requires paperwork. The U.S. doesn't care about non-native species. After your year is up, though, you may have trouble bringing the tortoise back with you into Canada.
  6. MPRC

MPRC Well-Known Member

I wonder if establishing that your tortoise was born/raised in Canada with a vet visit may help with that return trip. I'm not certain, just guessing if you have vet records to prove his 'citizenship' it may be smoother.