Moving from Indoors to Outdoors

twwillz

I've had my 3 toed box-turtle, Oscar, for about 21 years. He has a large indoor habitat, however I've always wanted to create an outdoor pen. I live in the Seattle area, so it would be only for the late spring, summer, and early fall. Keeping in mind that Oscar has lived indoors his entire life, does anybody see any issues with him moving outdoors? Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
twwillz said:
I've had my 3 toed box-turtle, Oscar, for about 21 years. He has a large indoor habitat, however I've always wanted to create an outdoor pen. I live in the Seattle area, so it would be only for the late spring, summer, and early fall. Keeping in mind that Oscar has lived indoors his entire life, does anybody see any issues with him moving outdoors? Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

I know nothing about the Box turtles but love to see your 21 years old beauty and his indoor enclosure.

May I ask you for few photos? I'm thinking to getting couple EBT too.

Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't put turtles or tortoises outside that aren't used to living outside until the weather is nice and warm, day and night. Then they go out and get acclimated to living outside, and they can stay out the rest of their lives.

If you plan to bring your in because of the weather, then you can put him out on warm days and bring him in at night until the nights are warm too. Then in the fall bring him back in. But he can hibernate if you want to leave him outside.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If the weather is mild-pleasant he should be just fine.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree with Yvonne on this. I would wait until it's at least 60 degrees consistently at night and only on days when it's warm out. Go slowly and let him acclimate. Once he acclimates (over the summer) he will be able to live outside all the time. Good luck! :)

twwillz

bouaboua said:
twwillz said:

I know nothing about the Box turtles but love to see your 21 years old beauty and his indoor enclosure.

May I ask you for few photos? I'm thinking to getting couple EBT too.

Thanks.

His indoor enclosure is really nothing to fancy. I got Oscar when i was 5 and he came in a small terrarium. My parents and I went out and got an old jewelry display case, which is a lot larger than the original terrarium. It has a heating pad, UV light, and food/water dish, etc. Its worked well for 21 years, but I'd really like to improve his living situation now that I have the space and move him outdoors. I'm going to create a larger indoor enclosure too. I'll get some pictures of Oscar up soon.