Moving Homes with Tortoise

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Oh so beautiful kitties!!! That dog looks like he's got mischief going on...Where are you moving to, if you don't mind saying...
See how big Simon's feet are...
100_4896.JPG
This is Smokey, he's 13 now
100_4909.JPG

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
Forgot to mention the 8 month old puppy but he’s the least of my worries ?

if I’m unable to transport the tortoise in his enclosure how would you suggest moving him?
I’m not sure his enclosure will fit in any of our vehicles because of its dimensions and I only drive a small focus hatchback. Would it make sense to start getting him used to a small box or container for the next month before the move so it’s less traumatic and he’s familiar with it?
I just moved (only three miles from the old house), and I brought my Redfoots here in a dog crate. They did just fine. I set up the new outside pen here, and they never went off their feed or got grumpy or anything. They are livin' the life in a bigger pen here. We moved fish years ago - the advice to lower the water as much as possible to keep splashing to a minimum is perfect. And the cats.......well, move them in a crate, too, and then keep them in the house for a couple of weeks so they'll figure out where they live. Good luck.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Oh so beautiful kitties!!! That dog looks like he's got mischief going on...Where are you moving to, if you don't mind saying...
See how big Simon's feet are...
View attachment 332831
This is Smokey, he's 13 now
View attachment 332832
Moving to L’Orignal Ontario on the St Laurence River. Seems to be in the middle of nowhere

I love those big paws!

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I just moved (only three miles from the old house), and I brought my Redfoots here in a dog crate. They did just fine. I set up the new outside pen here, and they never went off their feed or got grumpy or anything. They are livin' the life in a bigger pen here. We moved fish years ago - the advice to lower the water as much as possible to keep splashing to a minimum is perfect. And the cats.......well, move them in a crate, too, and then keep them in the house for a couple of weeks so they'll figure out where they live. Good luck.
My tort doesn’t seem to have a fussy personality luckily. In the last year he has moved enclosures 4+ times and he’s never phased by it. He just may rearrange a few things sometimes but he’s never stopped eating or hid a lot so I’m hoping he’ll be pretty easy going with all of it.

My bedroom at the new house has its own living area, solarium and balcony off of it so I’ll be keeping the cats confined to there for the first little while as they adjust. I’m sure 2 of them will spend the entire time hiding and I’ll let my male roam about pretty soon after because he’s laid back. He’s happy wherever I am so I don’t think he’ll care about the move

I’m hoping to use the solarium and balcony for my tortoise during the summer until he outgrows his current enclosure. I think it’ll be nice for him to have all that natural light for a change. My current home is very dark as we have no windows in the front of our house and the sun doesn’t come through the back. I curse whoever designed it

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I use a canvas tote to transport my tort. I line it with a thick layer of towels and under a couple layers of towels I place a Snuggle Safe. The Snuggle Safe (look up on Amazon) is a reusable disc that can be heated in microwave (follow directions on time). It will stay warm up to 10 hours. I put tort on towels and cover her with another towel. She happily travels. If there is any way you can have her home and aquarium set up at new house ahead of time, it will greatly alleviate your stress and make it easier to get everyone settled when you arrive. It means two trips, but it will make your life much easier.....Good luck.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
A few years ago I moved from Illinois to Missouri (3 hours) 10 cats(all indoors),a redfoot tort, red-ear slider and a dog.Cats in carriers with towels partially over them.Red-eared slider in a rubbermaid container (w/lid)a little larger than she was,added a soaked towel to keep her wet.This way she wouldn't slosh around.Redfoot tort in another rubbermaid just big enough and added a just warm enough sock with dried rice in it that I had heated in the microwave,towel on top of that to keep from getting her too warm,her on top and put on lid.I already had their home ready at the place I was moving to so they didn't get too wacked out. My cats personalities are from friendly to downright scared. I just made sure they had a place to hide if they needed to or places to roam in the house if they preferred.I have 3 that are sprayers and fixed up the garage for them. They have everthing that they had in the house before move even a added outdoor attached enclosure.My scared one has even become friendly .Sorry no fish but all else did great

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Just my luck that the day before house showings start my aquarium I’ve had for years decided to randomly spring a leak! In my 20+ years of owning an aquarium this has NEVER happened to me!
Luckily the store had a spare in stock but it was still $160 replacementFB2DC9F2-F2B5-4E0E-98E7-14DF31C0493B.jpeg7F82FC1D-C747-4674-BDB4-2265CB91FDC1.jpeg

SueFaber

USA
I know this thread is from a while back, but I stumbled upon it while searching for tips on moving with pets. I'm actually in a similar situation as I have to relocate soon. I'm particularly concerned about moving my tortoise, cats, and even my aquarium filled with fish. It's quite a handful, isn't it? Anyway, I've been considering hiring professional movers like ThreeMovers to help with the process. They seem to have good reviews and could potentially make things easier for me. If anyone else has any advice on moving pets, I'd love to hear it too. Thanks in advance! By the way, I'm new to this forum, and it's great to be part of such a helpful community.

Last edited:

Owllea

NE Kansas
There are a few over-the-counter behavior/anxiety supplements you could try for the kitties. Cats love to be picky about eating things, and most come in treat form, so they may or may not work. Look into Composure from Vetriscience, or Solliquin from nutramaxx, or Zylkene. They may be mild enough to ease the travel and transition stress without zonking the cats out.
All the other advice sounds great for the other critters. I’ve traveled across states with snakes, bearded dragons, and geckos. I placed the reptiles in small containers rather than in their enclosures. Allowed me to check on them during a 12 hr drive without having to sift through substrate.
Good luck, and good job planning ahead!

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I know this thread is from a while back, but I stumbled upon it while searching for tips on moving with pets. I'm actually in a similar situation as I have to relocate soon. I'm particularly concerned about moving my tortoise, cats, and even my aquarium filled with fish. It's quite a handful, isn't it? Anyway, I've been considering hiring professional movers like ThreeMovers to help with the process. They seem to have good reviews and could potentially make things easier for me. If anyone else has any advice on moving pets, I'd love to hear it too. Thanks in advance! By the way, I'm new to this forum, and it's great to be part of such a helpful community.

I originally posted this thread before my 5 hour across province move, which I successfully made with 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 tortoise and an aquarium with 12-15 fish (no casualties!)

My dogs rode in a separate car, but I packed 3 cats, my aquarium and tortoise all in one car and it ended up working seamlessly.

I purchased an XL travel dog crate which all 3 cats fit in, they each had a bed and there was 1 disposable litter box for them to use. They all just slept in a bed the entire 5 hour drive and didn’t even cry.

My aquarium I took all the plants and ornaments out and lowered the water as low as I could with the fish still inside, I used a wireless aerator to pump air into the water and closed them up in a box (I still had the box the aquarium came in so they fit snug and didn’t jiggle around)

As for my tortoise, I purchased a small box from HomeSense, placed some of his substrate in it and some snacks, but he just buried himself a bit and slept the whole way, there were openings in the sides as handles so I closed the lid and kept him in my lap the whole drive

It was a very easy and successful move and all the animals adjusted very fast to their new home

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
6FECE022-0337-4383-88A7-0309BC9B7CEB.jpeg5EA281B0-0C00-4452-87C9-179E5B744101.jpeg5EB75AB9-4C44-40B9-9ADD-2FADF5ED46FA.jpeg

jojow

United States
Have you traveled with your cats before? Will they be riding in carriers in the car with you?

4 hours isn't much for most cats used to riding somewhere for that long. For newbies to travel, it can be a mind altering experience. And I only say that because we've travelled with 4 different cats in the car or truck, in a camper or in a 5th wheel from Denver to Lake Powell, which could be 9-15 hrs one-way depending on the roads, weather, flat tires, etc. The best way is having the cats travel in cat carriers, preferably individually, & not in the car so you can concentrate on driving.

Letting them run loose is not recommended because cats really do not like to ride in cars, they crawl under seats, your foot pedals, over you, they wail, they drool, throw up, poop & generally let you know how much they hate travel until they wear themselves out. If you stop to get gas or food, they start up all over again when you get back on the road.

I have no idea how to transport live fish & I just got my tort so I've no experience with tort travel yet. I am very experienced in cat travel, however. Their little fur bodies stay pretty toasty in colder weather. If you're in extremely high temps, they need air conditioning or at least fresh air sources. And of course, don't leave them alone in cars in hot temps with the windows up.

Good luck!!
i've now got the moving date and its three weeks on saturday (to my boyfriends house)..it's approx a 2hour-3hour drive in the car depending on traffic/road works etc and was wonderin what you lot thought the most suitable and safest way to travel my two horsefields torts would be.. Kiara and deemo both panic when in small spaces...ie tubs with air holes.. n i don't think its humane.. See deemo would probably happily sit on my knee the whole journey the soppy get she is.. but as i've never transported them myself i want them to be as safe as possible.. so anyone had the same problem??? and how did u get around it Don't suppose leaving them in the tort table in the car n securing that would be in any means suitable?? just thinkin less upheaval for them :S any help would be mucho appreciated Thanks guys

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If their enclosure fits in the car, that would be best for the tortoises.