Moving Houses - Incubation Question

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So, I have a conundrum. I have a female redfoot who is digging right now and I was planning on incubating this batch (I put the last ones in the freezer, I was not prepared)

Inconveninetly, I will be moving sometime in the next 20-90 days. Do you think it is possible to move a loaded incubator 20 miles over flat ground or should I just wait for the next round?

Thanks!

Here's a pic of her first 3 eggs, just because.
1489118591244.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I did it just this past November with over 50 eggs of various species both turtle and tortoise. I simply unplugged the incubators last minute, situated them in the truck securely and drove over 50 miles to our new place. I only lost one Yucatán box turtle egg and who knows if that was the move or a failure in development since the other egg in the clutch hatched just fine.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@HermanniChris - Is it safe to assume that the eggs you moved were at all different stages of development? I was going to ask if that mattered, but maybe it isn't that important.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yes all different stages from just beginning to almost ready to pip.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
So, I have 2 freshly deposited eggs in my tortoise box. I never went and bought an incubator, but the soil temp is about 86 and the air humidity is mid 70's. Is it possible that if I keep them moist they may hatch on their own? I gently covered them back up after finding them. I only uncovered the tops so I could try to count. This is only her 2nd clutch ever. Prior to August she had never even seen another tort.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I can keep the closed chamber egg box heated and humid if it might work.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So, I have 2 freshly deposited eggs in my tortoise box. I never went and bought an incubator, but the soil temp is about 86 and the air humidity is mid 70's. Is it possible that if I keep them moist they may hatch on their own? I gently covered them back up after finding them. I only uncovered the tops so I could try to count. This is only her 2nd clutch ever. Prior to August she had never even seen another tort.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I can keep the closed chamber egg box heated and humid if it might work.
Awww!!! Congratulation!!!!! Both, on getting a new place and incoming tort-offspring:) and good luck with the move

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I move eggs all the time and it causes no problem. Just don't let them turn once they've been out of the female for more than about 24 hours. I try to not turn them at all.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I move eggs all the time and it causes no problem. Just don't let them turn once they've been out of the female for more than about 24 hours. I try to not turn them at all.

What are your thoughts on leaving them in the dirt and monitoring temps and humidity in the tank? I would love to see if they hatch, but if they don't I wont be completely heart broken.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Here are last night's eggs:
1489439442362-jpg.202022

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In damp substrate at 86 degrees, I would think they'd hatch just fine, however if that is inside your tortoise's enclosure, the eggs will surely be trampled or dug up. If they somehow survive and don't get trampled, I'd bet the adults would eat the babies upon hatching.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
In damp substrate at 86 degrees, I would think they'd hatch just fine, however if that is inside your tortoise's enclosure, the eggs will surely be trampled or dug up. If they somehow survive and don't get trampled, I'd bet the adults would eat the babies upon hatching.
Ewwwwww! They would???!! Oh no!!!! That's terrible!!!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon

This is an unoccupied tank that I put her in while she was digging because she was not settling into a spot to lay in the main enclosure. I don't think my substrate was deep enough for her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hey folks, I'm checking in with another egg related question. Red laid her last clutch on 4/12/17 and we've had them cooking at 84-86 degrees for the last 60+ days. When will I be able to tell if anything is going on in there? Aside from moving them into a different container for moving houses I haven't touched them, but i'd love to get a good idea if they are even fertile.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey folks, I'm checking in with another egg related question. Red laid her last clutch on 4/12/17 and we've had them cooking at 84-86 degrees for the last 60+ days. When will I be able to tell if anything is going on in there? Aside from moving them into a different container for moving houses I haven't touched them, but i'd love to get a good idea if they are even fertile.
Wet your finger and hold it in the air, if the wind is a south wind flick a coin, if the coin lands heads up then there is a 50% chance it's fertile. :D. Ok enough messing about. Have they fully chalked over, if so there is a good chance of being fertile.
My eggs have hatched from 103 to 184 days, same temps and humidity:confused:.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
So, I have a conundrum. I have a female redfoot who is digging right now and I was planning on incubating this batch (I put the last ones in the freezer, I was not prepared)

Inconveninetly, I will be moving sometime in the next 20-90 days. Do you think it is possible to move a loaded incubator 20 miles over flat ground or should I just wait for the next round?

Thanks!

Here's a pic of her first 3 eggs, just because.

I don't understand the part about putting eggs in freezer. Won't this kill the egg?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I don't understand the part about putting eggs in freezer. Won't this kill the egg?

That was my intention with the first set. I wasn't prepared to incubate them so I made sure they wouldn't develop.