Moving to a tortoise to Florida

xphare

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
I am moving to Tampa Florida in the early part of next year. My question is do you think the drastic change in humidity can cause respiratory issues for my tortoises. I have a leopard tortoise who is 1.5 years old and a baby sulcata probably 6-7 months old. Coming from Colorado, it could cause more harm than good but I wanted to see other keepers opinions. I remember Kamp Kenan talking about how he got rid of certain species because they never acclimated to the humidity and even advising only getting tortoises born in FL because they with be accustomed to the climate. Your thoughts?

daniellenc

Maryland
Plenty of leopard and sulcata keepers in Florida so you’re safe there. Altitude adjustment may be apparent but temporary. There are species like a desert tortoise that wouldn’t fair well but it’s humid in many other States than Florida so I think you’re just fine.

xphare

Denver
Ok sounds good. Thank you for the answer. I feel better knowing I can take them.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I am moving to Tampa Florida in the early part of next year. My question is do you think the drastic change in humidity can cause respiratory issues for my tortoises. I have a leopard tortoise who is 1.5 years old and a baby sulcata probably 6-7 months old. Coming from Colorado, it could cause more harm than good but I wanted to see other keepers opinions. I remember Kamp Kenan talking about how he got rid of certain species because they never acclimated to the humidity and even advising only getting tortoises born in FL because they with be accustomed to the climate. Your thoughts?
Kamp Kenan is not a good source for information. Besides, your salcata tort should be in high humidity anyway.

xphare

Denver
I never said he was a good source of information nor do you know my tortoises care. Thanks for your response lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I don't know your care either, but I was thinking along the same lines as Cheryl. Since baby sulcatas should be living in warm humid conditions the move to Florida shouldn't have any affect on it. At a year and a half, the leopard should still be living in warm humid conditions, so the move shouldn't affect him either.

xphare

Denver
Well, I don't know your care either, but I was thinking along the same lines as Cheryl. Since baby sulcatas should be living in warm humid conditions the move to Florida shouldn't have any affect on it. At a year and a half, the leopard should still be living in warm humid conditions, so the move shouldn't affect him either.
They live in 80% humidity already but I didn't know I needed to say that. I guess I'm more worried about the altitude change that was mentioned before. It's nice to know they will be ok down there. Thank you.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You would not believe how many people don’t know that. Just about every new person that comes to the forum has no clue about how to properly raise their torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They live in 80% humidity already but I didn't know I needed to say that. I guess I'm more worried about the altitude change that was mentioned before. It's nice to know they will be ok down there. Thank you.
I see. What threw Cheryl and I off the track was when you said, "My question is do you think the drastic change in humidity can cause respiratory issues . . . "

I don't know about the altitude, but I'll bet it won't make any difference to them. Their respirations are pretty slow.

xphare

Denver
I see. What threw Cheryl and I off the track was when you said, "My question is do you think the drastic change in humidity can cause respiratory issues . . . "

I don't know about the altitude, but I'll bet it won't make any difference to them. Their respirations are pretty slow.

I should have started off by saying will I survive in the summer time lol I know the tortoises will be fine but when they are outside during the summer here it's not that humid unless it rains. Guess I was more worried about the rain than anything else.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Kamp Kenan is not a good source for information. Besides, your salcata tort should be in high humidity anyway.
I agree with what you said here, Cheryl. Just by the way. I might also add, because we were asked by Xphare for our thoughts, that Florida has alligators and crocs and there are none of those in Colorado.