Moving to another country with your tortoise

peanut20

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi :)

Due to some career changes, we are considering the possibility of moving to another country. We have a hermann, around 10 months old and I was wondering what the process would be to move your tortoise to another country. (I'm in the US and we are considering countries in East Asia)

We got him from a local reptile store and don't have any documentation. I wasn't sure what to search for... Does anyone have experience moving to another country with their tortoises?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
International movement of live animals is exceedingly difficult, expensive, and problematic, and it gets worse every year. Find and hire an experienced animal broker. They will understand what is needed and they know how to work the ever-changing and extraordinarily complex system. I've used Pacific Pet Transport with success in the past, just as one example of the type of company that I'm talking about.

It will be far easier, less risky, and less expensive to leave your tortoise here and get a new one wherever you are going.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
International movement of live animals is exceedingly difficult, expensive, and problematic, and it gets worse every year. Find and hire an experienced animal broker. They will understand what is needed and they know how to work the ever-changing and extraordinarily complex system. I've used Pacific Pet Transport with success in the past, just as one example of the type of company that I'm talking about.

It will be far easier, less risky, and less expensive to leave your tortoise here and get a new one wherever you are going.

I agree with Tom. There are so many local & international rules & regulations from the country departing/country going to that it really is difficult. Once you get all the paperwork completed, & approved & rubber stamped. Seems like there is always one more hiccup. Sadly, it is easier on you and your tort to find a good home here to take care of the tort. Get settled in the new location & search for a new local tort. Ive owned & cared for torts in Riyadh, Kuwait and Tripoli Libya. It’s just easier all around.