Moving to CA from NC - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackib

5 Year Member
Hi all,

My husband is being transfered from Charlotte, NC to Pasadena, CA so we are looking to have to move within the next 6 months. Here is my dilemma, we will most likely have to rent since we will not be able to sell our house here and will have to rent it out, I have not rented since college and am not sure how landlords would handle 2 50lbs and growing tortoises on their property. Also we are having a really hard time finding anything within a reasonable price range with a suitable yard for them. Does anyone here live in the Pasadena/LA area that could give me suggestions. They currently have an acre of yard fenced in with their own 8x10 heated house. I am really geting worried about what to do. Thanks for any sugestions.

-Jacki

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jacki:

Welcome to California!!! I think you'll find the weather in Pasadena is great. Don't lose heart. I'm sure the right property will turn up. Its too bad you have to give up that great yard and heated shed, but you'll find something suitable, I'm sure. I don't think land lords are familiar enough with tortoises (sulcata bulldozers, especially) that they will have anything to say about them.

Good luck with your hunting and WELCOME to the forum!!

jackib

5 Year Member
Thanks! That is actually the one thing I am really looking forward to in CA is the weather. I am not quite sure about the weather year? Do they need heated shelters or would just a small shelter with a heat lamp suffice? My husband is worried that the yard will not be large enough for both of them and they will turn it into a mud yard and what to do with all the poo (with the 2 big boys they make a lot of poo).

M

Maggie Cummings

jackib said:
Thanks! That is actually the one thing I am really looking forward to in CA is the weather. I am not quite sure about the weather year? Do they need heated shelters or would just a small shelter with a heat lamp suffice? My husband is worried that the yard will not be large enough for both of them and they will turn it into a mud yard and what to do with all the poo (with the 2 big boys they make a lot of poo).

Just find an unused corner and dig the poop in there. That's what I do with my 80 pound poop....Or throw it in the garbage...You'll find a house, just keep searching. Look on the map and look for houses in all the small towns surrounding Pasadena...

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I live about 40 minutes from Pasadena!! and in LA time, thats pretty close! hehe

let me know when your in town, and if you need anything at all, I will help you out anyway I can!

Welcome to CALIFORNIA!!!

there are plenty of Homes for rent on Craigslist.org. Also, there are a lot of surrounding areas that might have more options for you, depending on what kind of commute your husband is willing to do. Pasadena's main freeway is the 210, going West on it, turns into the 134. Along the 134 you have the cities of Glendale and Burbank. Those are also great places to live. You have lots of options.

Worst case scenario--- I can help find a babysitter for your torts, while you find the perfect home.

Here is a link to some for you...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=pasadena&srchType=A&bedrooms=2

jackib

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, the more I look, the more I find. I think my biggest concern it, is the amout of backyard sufficient for them. They are so used to having so much space. But then again when you look at the zoos and stuff they have A LOT more torts in small confines. I guess they will just get a lot more supplimental food than they get now. Their main diet is the grass (I have a good mixture of grass and weeds that they love), supplimented with a treat every now and then of veggies (tomatoes - their absolute favorite - and squash, or whatever veggie I am cooking with). Thet are so spoiled now, but I think they will love the weather in CA much better.

You better not offer, I might have to take you up on that! I will want to make sure the yard is totally secure before they get the run of it.

Oh and any recommendations on vets? I have only take to take one of mine once due to a nose bleed - yea that was fun, 40lb tortoise to the vets office.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Look into the Sunland Area too. Cheaper and bigger yards, but not as nice. You might also look East a bit. That takes you farther from me and Cory, but there are tons of small cities around. I have three big sulcatas that live outside year round here and they do great. I give them a heated shed on a thermostat and they use it all day long and sleep in there at night. Its a very similar set up to what you had, but it doesn't need to be quite as heavy duty. If you can set them up the same way here, they will be quite happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.