Moving to Hawaii with Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn Peavy

5 Year Member
Hi,
My husband and I will be moving to The Big Island HI, soon. We will be taking our critter family with us, however, one of our family members is a Desert Tortoise and I am concerned that the climate change might upset his hibernation times. Hs anyone had any experience in this area? I would appreciate any information and advice people might have to give.
Many thanks,
Lynn (and Turbo)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It's illegal to do so, discussing illegal matters on the forum is not allowed. Thread is locked sorry.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe they don't know that it's illegal, that's a possibility. I didn't know it. And I guess I broke the lock?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Desert tortoises are a protected species and cannot legally be removed from their state. Also HI is not going to allow it in either. They have very strict and restrictive rules about importing any animal to their island chain and for good reason. I don't think you will be taking any of your animals without following some pretty serious rules and lengthy quarantine periods at government facilities.

And to answer your question, I think DT are one species that would not do well in the HI climate.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree, your going to get yourself into a total mess. The dt will never make it though customs. If you go to parks and wild life and get a permit maybe but good luck .It takes three years to getbpermits to keep them in Texas .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please don't even think about moving your desert tortoise with you. Find someone you know and trust and give the tortoise to them so he can stay in the climate he lives in.

Status
Not open for further replies.