Moving to Michigan

Jules321

Location (City and/or State)
Canton MI
Hello all! I'm Jules and I've been a turtle and tortoise lover all my life. I grew up in Phoenix Arizona and got my first Sulcata, Chomper, from petsmart when I was in third grade. My mom sat me down and made sure I understood the lifelong commitment of a sulcata. 2 yrs later my mom and her coworker each got a sulcata hatchling at a reptile expo Duster and Dropsy. Years later we took in Dropsy and overtime we've had to separate the 3 males to keep them from fighting. I love them all, but have spent the most time with Duster. Growing up, going away to college then living in apartments-I haven't been able to care for any of them myself in the last 10 years. Which brings us to today. I've settled down in a suburb of Detroit and recently purchased a home with about 0.3 acres. FINALLY I have the means to relieve my mom of taking care of Duster and my stepdad is counting down the days. We are building a 12x12 sunroom for him to spend the winter and cold nights and I'm planning to drive him up in the spring (2020). I'm experienced in caring for him in Arizona where he's been outside 100% of the time since he was 2 (in 2001) and has a space that's maybe about 350 sq ft. But will be new to any challenges that come with keeping a very large adult (28 inches long) in Michigan. I've never needed to track his uvb intake or be concerned with things like raccoons! I love him and am up to the task of giving him the best life I can. I am looking forward to the community and experience this forum has to offer in helping me with that task!20180909_184417.jpg

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your mvoe. Michigan is a greta state. I lived in Kalamazoo many years ago, and loved it. Duster looks great, and it looks like you have been taking great care of him. Best of luck to you as you get everything all set up for both of you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

It's not easy to provide the right conditions for such a large tortoise in Michigan's climate, but it can be done, and I like the idea of the sun room. Be sure to post pictures of his new space once it's all finished. And bear this in mind:

z5buxv2twye11.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hi, and welcome!

It's not easy to provide the right conditions for such a large tortoise in Michigan's climate, but it can be done, and I like the idea of the sun room. Be sure to post pictures of his new space once it's all finished. And bear this in mind:

z5buxv2twye11.jpg
Hopefully your new home is an "open concept"!

Jules321

Canton MI
Thank Yvonne! I have no doubts Duster could do the below picture if he gets restless! I am nervous the 12x12 is small for when he will be completely confided to it (winter) but it's what we can afford for a space where he can still get some natural UV. I work from home and my office will be looking out into the sunroom, so back up plan is to give him some supervised exercise in the house. Plans are still underway, but there will be a 21" tall base to the sunroom constructed with cinder block. I've contracted 4 seasons sunroom and will be getting blueprints soon for an April 2020 build!

Hi, and welcome!

z5buxv2twye11.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello all! I'm Jules and I've been a turtle and tortoise lover all my life. I grew up in Phoenix Arizona and got my first Sulcata, Chomper, from petsmart when I was in third grade. My mom sat me down and made sure I understood the lifelong commitment of a sulcata. 2 yrs later my mom and her coworker each got a sulcata hatchling at a reptile expo Duster and Dropsy. Years later we took in Dropsy and overtime we've had to separate the 3 males to keep them from fighting. I love them all, but have spent the most time with Duster. Growing up, going away to college then living in apartments-I haven't been able to care for any of them myself in the last 10 years. Which brings us to today. I've settled down in a suburb of Detroit and recently purchased a home with about 0.3 acres. FINALLY I have the means to relieve my mom of taking care of Duster and my stepdad is counting down the days. We are building a 12x12 sunroom for him to spend the winter and cold nights and I'm planning to drive him up in the spring (2020). I'm experienced in caring for him in Arizona where he's been outside 100% of the time since he was 2 (in 2001) and has a space that's maybe about 350 sq ft. But will be new to any challenges that come with keeping a very large adult (28 inches long) in Michigan. I've never needed to track his uvb intake or be concerned with things like raccoons! I love him and am up to the task of giving him the best life I can. I am looking forward to the community and experience this forum has to offer in helping me with that task!View attachment 280222
You have done great with Duster. Many members here that live in cold climates. So you will get a lot of info here. I used to live in Royal Oak and Clarkston until moving to Ludington. Never had a tort up there.
I am sure Duster will love all the dandelions up there.
Good luck on the drive it will be a smelly one.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Thank Yvonne! I have no doubts Duster could do the below picture if he gets restless! I am nervous the 12x12 is small for when he will be completely confided to it (winter) but it's what we can afford for a space where he can still get some natural UV. I work from home and my office will be looking out into the sunroom, so back up plan is to give him some supervised exercise in the house. Plans are still underway, but there will be a 21" tall base to the sunroom constructed with cinder block. I've contracted 4 seasons sunroom and will be getting blueprints soon for an April 2020 build!
Holy crow... I couldn't imagine a tort coming through the wall... Could totally see it happening just my goodness that is crazy