moving to michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

leannethreeoaks

5 Year Member
i have a summer home in michigan and plan on moving there this year maybe.

i have two baby sulcata tortoies two months old.

what i want to know is would michigan be a good place for the tortoies to live? if so how would i house them in the winter since it is so cold out there?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
leannethreeoaks said:
i have a summer home in michigan and plan on moving there this year maybe.

i have two baby sulcata tortoies two months old.

what i want to know is would michigan be a good place for the tortoies to live? if so how would i house them in the winter since it is so cold out there?

Um, no. I moved from there.

You'll get 2 days a year of good weather.

Dig a pond and attract native turtles. Or get a boxie.

You'll need to build a 4X8 table for starters because Sulcies will grow to be the size of a small lazy boy ottoman.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I am not sure what you mean by if Michigan could be a "good" place for them. Folks do have sulcata there. Is it an easy thing to do, especially once they get larger, no. Is it cheap, especially once they are larger, no it is not. It's going to take some extra hard work on your part and a lot of preplanning, but if your willing to do the extras, it can be done.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I started keeping torts, redfoots, outside of Lansing and had no unusual problems with keeping them besides the fact they had to come indoor in cold weather (which is pretty much the rule in most of NA). Where in Michigan are you moving to?

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
U can keep sulcat's in MI inside (basement) is what we do for winter and dont have a prob. and let them outside in summer

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its not ideal for them, but can be done.. it might be $$$ as well..
for an animal that needs heat and sunshine to be healthy.. not sure Id do it.. but it can be and is done.
you will need a large yard or barn.

leannethreeoaks

5 Year Member
My summer home is in three oaks,mi. I have one acre yard.

Three oaks, Michigan.
Now I have a big room off my garge and if I was to insulate it for winter months would I be able to use that room or should I just leave them indoors in winter?

When they become adult how do you keep a big tortoies in the house?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am from Michigan, moved to Chicago. Not sure why you would want to move back, but okay.:D If you have a room off the garage, that would work perfect. Insulate and heat. It really isn't much harder in the colder states, just little more expensive and little more work. In the winter time, if you wanted to give him more space, build a greenhouse off the garage for him to go in. Just always be conscious of the temps.

leannethreeoaks

5 Year Member
Thanks I will keep that in mind as far as the cold weather goes in the winter.

Right now I live in orange county,ca

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
In my opinion - extremely hard road to take... Can you build a 5,000 sq ft greenhouse in a few years? You could put seating out there for you to dine and read and just enjoy the space, and them.

Our chapter had a lady turn in her 70 pound female sulcata last year because she attempted to keep her indoors for a year after she moved and she finally went through the walls! Townhome did not permit pets and that is a hard one to hide....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortoiselady said:
In my opinion - extremely hard road to take... Can you build a 5,000 sq ft greenhouse in a few years? You could put seating out there for you to dine and read and just enjoy the space, and them.

Our chapter had a lady turn in her 70 pound female sulcata last year because she attempted to keep her indoors for a year after she moved and she finally went through the walls! Townhome did not permit pets and that is a hard one to hide....

I understand what you are saying. However, she already has the baby Sulcata's. Not everyone owning them has 5000 sq. Ft. for them to be housed in. A garage or a good sized heated room with outside access should be fine for the real cold winter months. There are quite a few sulcata owners whose Sulcata's have free roam inside a heated building and to go outside even when it is cold, and they do go out. It can be done. Of course the bigger is always the better.:D

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
wellington said:
tortoiselady said:

I understand what you are saying. However, she already has the baby Sulcata's. Not everyone owning them has 5000 sq. Ft. for them to be housed in. A garage or a good sized heated room with outside access should be fine for the real cold winter months. There are quite a few sulcata owners whose Sulcata's have free roam inside a heated building and to go outside even when it is cold, and they do go out. It can be done. Of course the bigger is always the better.:D

"In my opinion"

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I knew a guy that was breeding Galaps in his MI garage with radiant heating.

He later moved to AZ.

I don't miss my $400 January heating bill.

Perhaps you can swap Torts with someone near you for another Tort or other Chelonian that will fare better.

Uncovered outside pens are vulnerable to raccoons and hawks. A 5 sided Chain link dog enclosure is a good start for your large Tort.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
I leave in Toledo Ohio, just south of Mich, and have never had a problem. Yes my Sullie does come in for the winter, but enjoys most of the summer (way more then 4 days) outside.

leannethreeoaks

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I think by the time I move to Michigan I will have the setup for them for the winter months. I have one acre land so I have some room to build them there own space for outside and for a out building for them for winter. To start off with when they get bigger I am going to get one of those dog runs that are big enough for them both to be in for summer. Right now my torts are two months old.
Also I only have my babies on a heat pad all day long and so would it be better to put them on a heat lamp? And put them on heat pad at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.